Has Cunard changed hotels now it's using Red Hook?

Kittycat

We are booked on the QMII later in the year and Cunard have arranged for us to stay in the Sheraton New York & Towers for 2 nights after our cruise, but I recently saw an ad for the same package, but using the Marriot hotel in Brooklyn - do you think it likely that Cunard will move all its hotel bookings nearer to Red Hook or do we still have a chance of staying in Manhatton? Obvioulsy we'd rather stay in Manhatton, but there probably won't be anything we can do about it if they want to move us!

We are booked on the QMII later in the year and Cunard have arranged for us to stay in the Sheraton New York & Towers for 2 nights after our cruise, but I recently saw an ad for the same package, but using the Marriot hotel in Brooklyn - do you think it likely that Cunard will move all its hotel bookings nearer to Red Hook or do we still have a chance of staying in Manhatton? Obvioulsy we'd rather stay in Manhatton, but there probably won't be anything we can do about it if they want to move us!

Wow, I am surprised that there is anything as good as a marriot in Brooklyn. Last time I looked most of the motels in Brooklyn had names such as "while a way the hour" or "cheaper by the half hour".

I would guess that if you are coming in for only one night that Brooklyn Marriott might be okay, as you might have a better chance to avoid some traffic via the local streets.... maybe.

Personally, anytime I looked at the Cruiseline options, they appeared to be charging about double for rooms compared to booking it yourself.

I believe the Marriott is in the tall 30+ story building in the upper right hand corner of this picture. If you go to the aerial or map view you will see the Red Hook piers towards the Southeast of this picture. They are located just to the left of where the tunnel comes up.

By the way, just for grins I check the Marriott web site for April 14th. They are getting close to $200 a night. We will stick with our fun hotel just off Times Square and deal with the cab on Saturday to the pier

We are booked on the QMII later in the year and Cunard have arranged for us to stay in the Sheraton New York & Towers for 2 nights after our cruise

If you've booked the Sheraton Towers in Manhatten you'll be put there - if they tried to transfer all their Manhatten Hotel guests to Brooklyn I'm sure they'd have a riot on their hands!

Peter

If you've booked the Sheraton Towers in Manhatten you'll be put there - if they tried to transfer all their Manhatten Hotel guests to Brooklyn I'm sure they'd have a riot on their hands!

Peter

So, assuming the folks already booked in Manhattan are a go, and they have a bus out front in the morning to take them across the river, do you think someone could just walk up and ride the bus? How well do they really know who is supposed to be on board?

With the sure to be nasty traffic issues on the first day getting over there, I am open to trying just about anything. We are staying just off Times Square before the cruise.

So, assuming the folks already booked in Manhattan are a go, and they have a bus out front in the morning to take them across the river, do you think someone could just walk up and ride the bus? How well do they really know who is supposed to be on board?

All the luggage is tagged with colour coded tags - so your tags will be different from those on the Hotel coach transfer and they may well have vouchers for the coach transfer too.....How ever disorganised they are, I suspect they will have thought of that one - but you will be able to buy a coach transfer from Cunard to Penn or Grand Central Stations.......

Peter

Oops... should have made it clear. We are staying in the city BEFORE the cruise and need to get to the ship. Traffic will probably be a real mess that first time, maybe?

I would for sure feel there would be a problem getting OFF the ship, as they are dealing with the bags. Just a long shot. Probably a crazy idea, though would not be quite as crazy if you were already at hotel?

Oops... should have made it clear. We are staying in the city BEFORE the cruise and need to get to the ship. Traffic will probably be a real mess that first time, maybe?

I would for sure feel there would be a problem getting OFF the ship, as they are dealing with the bags. Just a long shot. Probably a crazy idea, though would not be quite as crazy if you were already at hotel?

You will most likely be able to book Cunard transfers TO the ship. You will probably have to take a taxi to their appointed hotel or a central meeting point, but as a general rule, you can book transfers independently of hotels or air. Call Cunard or your TA.

Personally, anytime I looked at the Cruiseline options, they appeared to be charging about double for rooms compared to booking it yourself.

The cruiselines, including Cunard, book tours, hotels, transfers, etc. PER PERSON. So yes, you are paying double for a hotel room. They really rip you in Asia and Europe. $280.00 in Beijing for a standard room at the Great Wall Sheraton in Beijing is almost twice what even the Sheraton website charges. No, we didn't get taken, but our friends did.

You can buy the transfers, if you want or need them, independently of hotels, air or cruisetours most of the time.

What is your date of travel? I've gone through the hotel listings in the US reservation system as far as the end of June.. and all hotels are in Manhattan... both pre and post.

Oh..and two large kennels are also available for booking! More expensive than a hotel!

What is your date of travel? I've gone through the hotel listings in the US reservation system as far as the end of June.. and all hotels are in Manhattan... both pre and post.

Oh..and two large kennels are also available for booking! More expensive than a hotel!

We don't sail until 30th October from Southampton and have two nights post cruise in NY. This will be our first visit to NY and although we have have a short time there, really want to stay in Manhatton and will certainly try to put up a fight if they try to move us, but after reading the small print in the brochure, they say they hae the right to change hotels if necessary for operational reasons.

If this is your first and only visit to NYC, and only two days, I would seriously think about canceling the Cunard hotel and get your own in the city. Just my opinion. You most probably will save money and can be in the middle of the action. And, by October, the cab/transfer options from the pier into the city should be in good shape.

In checking the Cunark UK site, they are specifically offering specials that include the Brooklyn Marriott. Double check and plan accordingly.

Meanwhile, I assume you could hop the subway across fairly easy, and cab in non rush hours. Hopefully, a local can add some information for you. One of them works in that same building.

Attractive rates (for the UK) but I would book cruise only, and either ask for alternate hotels, or book my own.

Cunard releases any unsold hotel space 30 days prior to sailing.

I believe the Marriott is in the tall 30+ story building in the upper right hand corner of this picture. If you go to the aerial or map view you will see the Red Hook piers towards the Southeast of this picture. They are located just to the left of where the tunnel comes up.

Hi All,

The site showing the picture does not include the whole Marriott of Brooklyn. The hotel is hidden in the very upper right corner. On the upper right corner is a picture of a long white stone building called the Brooklyn Supreme State Courts. The Marriott is the small piece of building (really the front entrance & a few floors) in the upper area across that very wide street called Adams Street.

All native Brooklyn citizens know this area well as it is the area we all report for Jury Duty to! The other building noted in the picture (in the middle - with green top) is a tall commerical building along Court Street.

Brooklyn Marriott would be the best bet as it is in the same boro as the piers and also only about a 10-15 minute ride to the new terminal along the local streets.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Thanks for all your responses - I now really quite happy and confident about the trip. If Cunard do try to move us I will certainly look at booking our own accommodation so that we can stay where we want to be!

Archived