Los Angeles Extensions ???

lextrvlr

Though not for the first time, Viking has managed to confuse me. Perhaps someone can help. We have booked the November 28, 2024 Hawaiian Sojourn cruise out of Los Angeles. We are considering adding the two day extension, especially since the 28th happens to be Thanksgiving in 2024 (not realized until after booking). In checking Extensions in My Viking Journey one finds the hotel offered to be the, “Inter Continental Century City located on the Avenue of the Stars.” From what I can learn, the Inter Continental Century City has been closed for some time. In looking at our cruise on Viking's web site, the Sofitel is shown as the hotel used for this extension. Having spoken to two Viking reps, I have been told by one that Inter Continental Century City is open and is used by Viking, and that Sofitel is being used by the other. Perhaps someone out there has used this extension or plans to do so. And yes I know it is too expensive but I am willing to pay for the convenience, especially as transportation may be hard to come by on Thanksgiving day.

No experience on this itinerary, but I do have extension hotel insight. Sometimes Viking uses two hotels in an area. For the accurate information, you may have to wait closer to your cruise. We also had a closed hotel listed online as the extension location, but later it was corrected. I think the website is sometimes not updated, (sigh). Our hotel has been listed on our invoice, and when changed, we’ve received an email from Viking with new invoice. Note that in the extension information online, it does state “Hotel XXX or similar. “

Edited by CDR2001

I live here.  Regardless of which hotel, I find Century City to be a pain when I have to go there.  The area is very expensive and not walkable or at least until the subway construction is completed in a few more years.  

LAX will be a zoo that week as will all airports.  

LA is easy to get around with or without a car.  My suggestion is that you decide what you want to see and book an appropriate hotel near where you want to be and do the pre visit on your own.  

Suggestions: Downtown and subway to LACMA and Peterson Auto Museum.  The Broad, Chinatown and Olvera Street.  Subway up to Universal Studios or Hollywood Blvd.  Light Rail to Science Center to see the Space Shuttle.  All of this is in a small area.  

My view is that in easy to understand cities which for me includes all of North America, New Zealand and Australia you are much better off and save money doing your own pre or post.  When other languages and exhaustive flights are involved the scenario changes.

Despite what many say. Los Angeles has a lot to offer and you won’t be bored.

• Like 2

We also have an LA extension and although MVJ states the hotel as the Intercon, both the website and the invoice state the Sofitel. It is as you say confusing, but looking at the IHG website this confirms that the Intercon Century City is indeed closed. I’m assuming the Sofitel is correct, however…😀

1 hour ago, PasadenaDave said:

I live here.  Regardless of which hotel, I find Century City to be a pain when I have to go there.  The area is very expensive and not walkable or at least until the subway construction is completed in a few more years.  

LA is easy to get around with or without a car.  My suggestion is that you decide what you want to see and book an appropriate hotel near where you want to be and do the pre visit on your own.  

Suggestions: Downtown and subway to LACMA and Peterson Auto Museum.  The Broad, Chinatown and Olvera Street.  Subway up to Universal Studios or Hollywood Blvd.  Light Rail to Science Center to see the Space Shuttle.  All of this is in a small area.  

My view is that in easy to understand cities which for me includes all of North America, New Zealand and Australia you are much better off and save money doing your own pre or post.  When other languages and exhaustive flights are involved the scenario changes.

Despite what many say. Los Angeles has a lot to offer and you won’t be bored.

Would you expect less animals in the zoo on Tue. or Wed.?

1 hour ago, PasadenaDave said:

I wholeheartedly agree, having lived in L.A. for 45 years.  Century city is not where you want to be.  There isn’t really anything there, and you would have to take a cab or Uber anywhere you wanted to go.  I have never figured out why Viking chose Century City.  I myself would book a hotel in Santa Monica, which is what we are doing when we go through LA on our Hawaii cruise next Feb.

Edited by SantaFe1

17 minutes ago, lextrvlr said:

Would you expect less animals in the zoo on Tue. or Wed.?

Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving is traditionally one of the busiest airport days of the year...fly in Tuesday...of Monday if you can.

Having said that, i flew into LAX this past Sunday at 7 pm and found traffic on the ring road fairly light.  This is due to required shuttle busses to Taxi/Uber lot which reduces a lot of private vehicles.  Also while I was alone so I took the FlyAway bus to Union Station, when my wife and I are together we take a taxi as opposed to Uber as the Uber lines are long and taxi line non-existent and the price differential isn't much