Sickness on NCL Ship in Florida? Any Truth?

cdaystravel

Friends that live in FL said they heard on the news that an NCL ship was brought into FL because 3/4 of the passengers were sick?? I know NCL has fantastic CDC ratings and am finding it hard to believe this?? Any confirmed info??:cool:

Friends that live in FL said they heard on the news that an NCL ship was brought into FL because 3/4 of the passengers were sick?? I know NCL has fantastic CDC ratings and am finding it hard to believe this?? Any confirmed info??:cool:

What news station? Any additional info is helpful. Please do not post unless you have definitive info.

Happy sails to all!!!

The CDC will list any ship that has a reportable amount of illness(the reportable level I think is 2.5% of the passengers). If it were 75% the ship would be quaranteed, Remember the first rule of journalism- the first report is probably wrong....

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

I would say something about rumors but this is a family thread.

Local News

050509_cruise_ships.jpg Carnival ??More than 200 Royal Caribbean passengers become ill

03/06/2006

03/06/2006

More than 200 Royal Caribbean passengers become ill

letter.gif E-mail this story to a friend

NOT BAD, THEY SHOW A CARNIVAL CRUISE SHIP :cool:

CDC Numbers have nothing to do with it.

This is "high season" for Norwalk Virus in America.

This week there are hundreds of schools, hospitals, retirement homes, prisons, and hotels (and a few cruise ships) around America with elevated Norwalk numbers.

Norwalk Visus is spread by people who fail to wash their hands after using the toilet. It doesn't matter how clean the ship might be. If you have unclean passengers, you get sick.

A google search found this bit of Florida TV news:

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI16606/

Posted March 6, 2006. Only 200 RCL passengers out of over 2 thousand does not make 75%.

At http://www.cruisejunkie.com/outbreaks2006.html

I see you found something it had nothing to do with NCL - If someone does not follow the link it just validates a rumor - not the first time someone substituted NCL for RCL.

March 8- RCL Grandeur of the Sea - Tampa

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

On March 8, 2006, RCI reported to the CDC that an elevated number of passengers and crew were experiencing symptoms that were consistent with acute gastroenteritis. The predominant symptom is diarrhea amd vomiting. On March 11, the ship reported that 11 of 754 (1.46%) crew and 130 of 2263 (5.74%) passengers were ill. The ship was on a 5-day cruise from Tampa to Costa Maya and Cozumel. More than 100 passengers were confined in their rooms when the ship was in Cozumel because Mexican officials were afraid the virus would spread on land.

March 14 Mercury - Celebrity CL

On March 14, 2006, Celebrity Cruises reported that an elevated number of passengers and crew were experiencing symptoms consistent with acute gastroenteritis, mainly diarrhea and vomiting. On March 17, the ship’s medical staff indicated 14 of 840 (1.67%) crew and 191 of 1902 (10.04%) passengers had reported ill. The ship is on an 11 night Mexican Riviera cruise due to end in San Diego on March 17.

I edited your quote to help reduce the confusion

I see you found something it had nothing to do with NCL - If someone does not follow the link it just validates a rumor - not the first time someone substituted NCL for RCL.

I edited your quote to help reduce the confusion

My original post included a copy and paste from the last link, that suggested clearly that it wasn't a NCL ship, that was edited out by our kindly host.

I guess I copied and pasted too much from a copyrighted web page, although I limited it to just the month of March..........

It's not the first time I've been edited, nor probably will it be my last.

Under the law, the US Government cannot copy right its writtings. There is no copyright violation from posting the CDC report here is the link anyway.
To clarify Cruise Critic's guidelines on copy and pasted material:

Copyright Infringements

The posting of large blocks of text obtained from the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. You may LINK via url to the information.

However, Cruise Line press releases are welcome on the boards, if you clearly indicate the source.

Everything copy and pasted may not be copyrighted. However in the guidelines for this web site you must provide a link; copyrighted or not.

Archived