Probably the most accurate review of MSC's food I've seen...

Stockjock

On 12/6/2023 at 5:37 AM, Maria63 said:

There is a very real cultural difference in how people traditionally handle queues. I come from a culture where you are supposed to queue the way Americans and Northern Europeans understand it, ie you line up and wait patiently for your turn. However, in Spain and Italy, people traditionally do not queue by lining up while waiting for something. Instead, they do what in English could be called "who is the last one?" and this is how it works: 

When you enter into a space where you are supposed to wait for your turn, you ask in a clear voice "Who is the last one?" The person who entered before you is supposed to react to your question and identify himself. You then keep an eye on this person, and when you hear someone ask "Who is the last one?" it is your turn to acknowledge that it is you. Otherwise, you are free to stand or sit where you want and socialize freely while you are waiting, but you must keep an eye on the person who came in before you so that you know when it is your turn to be served, and so that you don´t disrupt the whole process. 

This system of queueing is very civilized and works quite well when everyone understands the rules. Unfortunately, very unpleasant cultural clashes tend to happen when people from the Northern European & American queuing cultures mix with folks from Spain and Italy. The "who is the last one" -system would of course not work for instance in a buffet line, but people who have grown up in this culture probably do not place the same emphasis on the importance of forming orderly queuing lines. It is no big deal when it comes to determining polite behavior.

I've never heard anyone, ever, ask that question. Nor have I ever heard of that system. Some cultures just think it’s ok to push in. You see it at airports, bus stops, bars, everywhere. People just walk into a queue near the front, trying not to look like the uncivilised brute that they are. It does my head in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drewlavelle said:

I've never heard anyone, ever, ask that question. Nor have I ever heard of that system. Some cultures just think it’s ok to push in. You see it at airports, bus stops, bars, everywhere. People just walk into a queue near the front, trying not to look like the uncivilised brute that they are. It does my head in.

It´s true that rude and inconsiderate people exist in all cultures. But as for the "who is the last one?" -system, I had it explained to me by my native Spanish language teacher when I lived there. I then also experienced it in real life for instance in the post offices in Spain. 

Just now, Maria63 said:

It´s true that rude and inconsiderate people exist in all cultures. But as for the "who is the last one?" -system, I had it explained to me by my native Spanish language teacher when I lived there. I then also experienced it in real life for instance in the post offices in Spain. 

Maybe some cultures have that system in small communities in particular circumstances — a handful of people in a Spanish post office might well be an example. But I presumed the discussion here was about the tendency for some nationalities to be more likely to queue-jump and push in when they know very well they’re just being rude and selfish. It’s incredibly irritating.

21 hours ago, drewlavelle said:

I have a question...if it is ok in some cultures to push in then is it ok for me to likewise push them out or physically maintain my spot? I don't mind physically moving someone to protect my place. Just wondering if this is ok. I don't think this is civilized but neither is being rude and physically placing yourself ahead of others who have waited their turn

• Like 1