St. Thomas Scuba excursion

CruisingAndDiving

Hi folks. 

I'm thinking about the HAL scuba excursion in St Thomas on our upcoming cruise.  HAL  lists the price at $189.  Does anyone know if that includes gear rental?  

I'm trying to figure out if I should bring my own gear ...or alternatively book something not through HAL excursions.

Thanks

We used Coki Beach Dive shop when in St Thomas for the kids Discover Scuba. Very well run shop that I recommend. Their beach is beautiful and easy to dive, with lots to see. I'm fairly certain they will do boat dives too, but need to contact them to arrange. 

Not sure if the excursion price includes rental, but I am sure the price directly through the scuba shop will be less than that. Bring your mask and snorkel, fins too if they are small enough/warm water style.

Edited by dawnvip
added info

1 hour ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

Does anyone know if that includes gear rental?  

I plan to do that dive in early February.  You're right.  The excursion description does not address this.  On these ship excursions, they often state that gear is available for rental, if needed.  For that price, though, I would expect them to provide the gear.  It looks like the operator will send out a medical questionaire, so maybe they'll provide details at some point.

You might ask this question also in the Scuba/snorkel sub-forum.

Edited by ROUS

2 minutes ago, ROUS said:

I plan to do that dive in early February.  You're right.  The excursion description does not address this.  On these ship excursions, they often state that gear is available for rental, if needed.  For that price, though, I would expect them to provide the gear.  It looks like the operator will send out a medical questionaire, so maybe they'll provide details at some point.

Yep, I would hope that includes gear rental too.  I'm going to phone shore excursions desk on Monday to see if they know.  In checking a couple of independent dive shops, gear rental prices and dives work out better.  I'm just trying to justify if i should pay the extra airline baggage fee to bring my own gear

2 minutes ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

I'm just trying to justify if i should pay the extra airline baggage fee to bring my own gear

I don't do it.  I'll bring my camera, mask, fins, and computer.  I rent the rest.  I hate lugging gear around.

• Like 2

If you are only doing one dive, rental gear is the way to go.  I used to drag all my dive gear along on cruises but I did more than one dive.  I've concluded that using rental gear (but my own mask, snorkel, fins and maybe regulator) is the way to go.  The HAL sponsored dives that i've been on included all gear and transportation to/from the dive shop.  Take some cash for tips and after dive drinks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

If you are only doing one dive, rental gear is the way to go.  I used to drag all my dive gear along on cruises but I did more than one dive.  I've concluded that using rental gear (but my own mask, snorkel, fins and maybe regulator) is the way to go.  The HAL sponsored dives that i've been on included all gear and transportation to/from the dive shop.  Take some cash for tips and after dive drinks.

I'm looking into diving in Grand Turk as well so that's why I'm thinking about schlepping my own gear along for this particular cruise.

we have done it both ways , brought it ALL ( including wet suits ) for a dedicated dive cruise , to just mask and snorkel for the Grandkids discovery scuba dive. I'm older  (and hopefully wiser ) now and we bring Mask , snorkel and shorty fins, and if the waters not warm enough for me to get into with a rash guard and dive leggings I'm not getting in any way Hahaha

• Like 2