Need shore ideas w/ elderly mom

vmcb

Taking my 91 yr. old mom on W. Carrib. cruise RCL Rhapsody to Cozumel, G.Cayman, Key West. Is it easy to hire someone at Cayman to take us for brief tour of island, maybe by turtle farm, to Stingray City and wait while we ride the semi-submersible? Similar tour off boat is $59 per person. Anyone know price of Stingray entrance/ride?

Also, at Key West is it easy to walk to take the little train tour? Mom is mobile, but couldn't walk great distances.

This is my first posting and I've learned so much from just reading this site. Thanks for any info.:)

One thing that I think you don't realize is that Stingray City is a sandbar out in the middle of a bay. You have to take a boat to get there. Your mom might enjoy going out there and watching everyone with the rays. It is quite an experience.

I have never been to the turtle farm, so I don't know about that. There are taxis all around there and at Cozumel.

Hope this helps a little.

Key West should be a breeze--everything is fairly close and the trolley goes right to the ship. Some of the excursions in the other ports sound maybe a bit too rugged for your mom. Almost all require walking over uneven surfaces. Maybe a taxi to town would be better for her?

We took my grandma on a cruise(92 at time). My advise is to rent her a manual chair, the ports are HOT , she will tire easily. One company I have used and reecommend carevacations.com

She still talks about it (she is 95 now) She will be treated like royalty!!!

Sherry

I would definitely rent a wheelchair, and that way you both can relax a bit. Hint, you will get to the front of many lines, and get extra attention. My mother just passed away a few months ago, and since she lived with me I used all kinds of things to assist her. I am a nurse, as well, which didn't hurt, but just common sense will serve you well. Of course, use all the ship elevators, and let her enjoy. I would give anything to be taking my mom on my upcoming cruise.

Archived