Thinking of not doing an excursion in Georgetown...

kenandlaura06

There's lots of restaurants and shops right in the port area. You could certainly spend a lot of time there. And if you change your mind, there are cabs waiting at the port area. There's also a museum right in town. We didn't get there, but I wished we'd found the time while we were there. It's on our "to-do" list for next time.

I personally think everyone should see the stingray's, but not everyone is into that type of thing. We took the Hell, turtle farm and island tour the first time we were there...not real exciting, but it gave us an idea of what the place was like, and we saw enough to know we wanted to spend a week there (which we just did).

We had the most fun sitting on the balcony at Breezes and watching all the ships coming and going. One thing about GC is that you can walk anywhere you want and feel safe. No one will hassle you to buy a thing. The best shop in town (IMO) is called Pure Art. It's about a mile out of town (to the right of the port area). They had a lot of really nice local art pieces...paintings, ornaments and other things.

There's also a store that has really cool Xmas ornaments and other souvenirs next to Captain Marvin's store. It's in a yellow building (I believe) that faces the ocean. It was about a five minute walk. Rackham's Pub and Restaurant is also down that way...just a tad bit further. It's located right on the water. We've eaten there quite a few times, and really enjoyed the food. When we were there in January, we thought the place was closed, but it's not. The black iron gate was open, but we saw the "for rent" sign in the building in front of the restaurant and thought the restaurant was closed. It wasn't. There's a new building owner, and he closed the gift shop. Supposedly the one of the submarine outfits was going to move in. Don't know if they have or not.

There's also an english pastry shop that's down that direction, but we never found the time to stop. I've read a lot about the place...but we'll have to add it to our list for the next time.

We have stayed in the Caymans several times and have decided to take the bus down to see the new Ritz Hotel. Then we are going to see our friends at a condo we stayed at and then play around on beautiful Seven Mile Beach, stopping for beverages here & there! We are going to make our way to the Reef Grill where we plan to have lunch reservations. From there, grab the bus or cab back into town, shop a bit (rum cake & rum - Tortuga). Bringing snorkel gear to just relax and snorkel from shore! We love GC!

And just walking around/hanging out...any thoughts??? We have never been to there before.

Hi Ken & Laura,

This will be my 2nd time to GC...1st time we really enjoyed swimming with the Rays. This time we're gonna do a lil' off shore snorkeling and walking around town for some shopping.

I guess it all depends on what you're interested in. Whatever you choose have a blast:)

Enjoy! Kathy

Archived