Rough Seas on Xpedition?

Babo02

My husband and I are concerned about the fact that the Xpedition is a small ship and wondered if it was necessary to use a scopalomine patch for seasickness? We're aware that we aren't likely to be going too far away from land, but our cabin (318) is near the bow of the ship so it's a bit of a concern. We didn't need anything when we took an Alaska cruise, but it was a much larger ship.

Would appreciate any input.

Babo

My husband and I are concerned about the fact that the Xpedition is a small ship and wondered if it was necessary to use a scopalomine patch for seasickness? We're aware that we aren't likely to be going too far away from land, but our cabin (318) is near the bow of the ship so it's a bit of a concern. We didn't need anything when we took an Alaska cruise, but it was a much larger ship.

Would appreciate any input.

Babo

Seas are calm most of the year and for a large portion of the time the ship is anchored.I observed no seasickness at all. Just be careful of non bottled water in Quito. Don't forget to brush your teeth in the hotel with bottled water. Once on the Xpedition just relax and enjoy ,it's an incredible trip and Celebrity takes care of EVERYTHING.

We were on Xpedition last October and had quite a bit of motion, I almost rolled out of bed one morning ... The ship was built as a river cruiser so it will roll a bit. Even with all the motion, I don't think I ever saw anyone get sick. Maybe its the open bar? :->)

Enjoy, its a great trip.

Frank

We were on the Xpedition in July and there was quite a bit of seasickness. They pass out medication at the Guest Services desk and most people seemed to be able to handle the movement with what was providd. There is a doctor on board in case you feel really bad, or something else has gotten a hold of you.

Do be careful in Quito with salads, ice, and water. People did get ill.

Also, take chewable Dramamine and Immodium with you. People did get ill later in the week.

If two out of three trips had rough seas then it would seem like a good idea to have something on hand for mal-de-mer. A friend has suggested Bonamine which doesn't make you drowsy and I'm planning to take some along.

Thanks also for the mention about salads in Quito. I will really miss my fruits and veggies, but it's certainly not worth getting sick over. I wonder what a vegetarian would do?

Babo, a vegetarian would eat cooked vegetables and peeled fruits. I think some of the sickness is due to the altitude as well.

We had one stormy day but other days were fine.

Have a great trip.

Babo, My wife and I were on the Nov. 13, 2005 cruise. We didn't have very rough seas and I never saw or heard of anyone getting seasick. I did see a couple of people with patches, but that was precautionary.

The ship is relatively small and I don't think there's a lot of difference in movement between cabin location or deck location. Remember, we're talking 2 decks difference in height among the cabins (you're never above what I would consider Deck 4 on most of the larger cruise ships), and you're definitely not 10 decks above the ocean!

Dave

My husband and I are taking the 10 day package that leaves Toronto on June 2. My hubby is sensitive to motion and that's why I'm concerned. Perhaps using the patches is a good idea as we've used them in the past without any problems.

I really appreciate everyone's input and am looking forward to this trip like you wouldn't believe. Even though it's my husband's dream trip, we'll be celebrating my 63rd birthday during the cruise and I'm considering this my birthday present. :D

Babo

Archived