What constitutes a "good" breakfast buffet?

Rumncoke

This was a good thread. :)

A question about this, on the Dawn, is smoked salmon allways available for breakfast? The best way to start the day, a bagel with salmon!

I've always seen it-tomato, onion,bagel-I don't remember capers

For true hashbrowns, NCL was terrible. More like lukewarm shredded potatoes, did not matter where--buffet, room service, and dining room. No one made them to order. ;)

That sucks, but I won't let it ruin my cruise. I must tell you though, that I am gonna give every option a try to get some fresh ones! :D

The Carnival Glory served great grits a few years back - mix in some bacon, cheese and butter and yum!

The Holiday served grits too. What's a southern breakfast without grits?:rolleyes:

At buffets,hubby always looks for strawberry syrup for waffles, and I really like canadian bacon.

forget the scrapple but yes, the grits would be a wonderful addition. NMNIta

Not sure if I missed this earlier on this thread....

but I was on the Jewel Sept 3rd sailing and they had grits every day as well as oatmeal and cream of wheat.

here here! i've converted my husband, and now he actually prefers the veggie sausage and bacon! less greasy for him and less meaty for me... although I'm sure it would be cooked on the same griddle anyway :(

You can ask that the veg sausage not be cooked on the same griddle:)

Whats scrapple?

It is a Phila. "staple":rolleyes: It is just what the name suggests. They use the "scrap" from the pig (use your imagination:p ) with some meal to hold it together form it into a block....you slice it then fry it in grease:eek: ....a lot of grease or it falls apart.......best in a cast-iron pan.

One thing is for sure after reading all of these answers. It is no wonder that cruise lines get overwhelmed when trying to offer a variety that fits everybody. Some of these answers are just plain WEIRD.

That is what makes it so much fun!! :)

I will second the vote for the hot food being hot and the cold food being cold. That sure was NOT the case on the POAm's buffet when I was there recently.

You have all forgotten the OTHER main food group:

CHOCOLATE!:D

P.S. Porridge is oft referred to as 'oatmeal' in U.S

P.P.S. You think your coffee is good? Well you should take a wee cruise to Auckland New Zealand where you will find the best flat whites and lattes in the world. Why hasn't this migrated north? I don't understand. Starbucks is but a rude imitation. (Dramatic sigh...) IMHO one of the world's best kept secrets...

You have all forgotten the OTHER main food group:

CHOCOLATE!:D

P.S. Porridge is oft referred to as 'oatmeal' in U.S

P.P.S. You think your coffee is good? Well you should take a wee cruise to Auckland New Zealand where you will find the best flat whites and lattes in the world. Why hasn't this migrated north? I don't understand. Starbucks is but a rude imitation. (Dramatic sigh...) IMHO one of the world's best kept secrets...

I will respond to each of your sections.

1. Chocolate- I had a history teacher from New Zealand who was addicted to chocolate, I could basically buy my grade in chocolate.

2. I always wondered what porridge was....

3. I really like starbucks, for chain coffee it really is the best.

Everyone here has given good answers. I have to say that all three of the NCL ships we've been on have had breakfast buffets that we were very pleased with. I prefer dining in the main dining room for eggs benedict though.

But, to make the buffets even better, I would have to add a nice, chewy, warm cinnamon roll dripping with gooey frosting!:p

I love cruising!

Hikini:D

YUMMY...

Archived