Japan Sailings

Fishbone

Is there anyone who has completed a Japan sailing that is willing to give a little insight into what you looked for in terms of selecting a route? I'm a seasoned cruiser that is in the early stages of planning a trip to Japan, but am very overwhelmed by all of the options. I'm been endlessly researching and now my head is spinning. 

I think I've narrowed it down for us (53/49/13) to sail on Princess in June/July 2024 from Tokyo (Yokohama). I found an ideal sailing (10-Day Sea of Japan) with 7 ports in May 2024, but those dates don't align for us & an identical route is not available in June/July. 

Is there a preferred line/sailings; ports not to be missed; locations that are highly recommended (ex: Glacier Bay in Alaska); or essential activities that should be included? I realize that we're all very different & that there are thousands of considerations, but I would love to get feedback from someone who has previously travelled to Japan. 

My main goal is to expose my son to as many new things as possible - cultures, religions, food, languages, modes of transportation, etc. 

All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.