Are The Grills Better Really?

MollyBrown

I like the Grills - my experiences are of QE2 only - re the smaller / more intimate dining experiences and being able to arrive at any time between 7 - 9 pm - the food is superb & as I usually travel solo whilst the cabins are comfortable they are nothing like the twin Grill cabins so for my money it is being able to eat & dine when I like and order off menu that makes me book Grill Class on QE2. & also due to the fact that many family members who have travelled on QE2 many times since its maiden voyage have mainly travelled in the former Columbia Rest and then the Queens Grill.

For my last 2 QE2 cruises in 2004 & 2005 I have had the same central table in the Queens Grill and the service is second to none including the food which is sublime! If anything is not right the Maitre D' will soon put things right - no question! Roll on my next Qe2 cruise in Sep for the Canana cruise / US crossing this time in the Princess Grill (I dined here on the last night of my 2005 cruise and it was excellent).

Having said all of the above my first crossing was in the Caronia Rest.. and this too was very good - just not in the same league as the Grills! Nice single cabin though! I recently travelled in the Britannia Rest on QM2 and whilst it was good trip it is nothing like the ambience of QE2 & I did not hear many good reports from the Grill Class passenger either - I still think QE2 is still the Queen of the Seas very much until she goes out of service!!!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

How nice of you to add this at end of a long thread. Hope things improve for you. Cheer up. :eek:

;)

Guys, why not agree to drop the term "s...ge" to stop upsetting folk. Let's use "economy" instead, if that's acceptable to all.

David.

What's wrong with just calling it Britannia class....no one has problems referring to Mauretania, Coronia, Queens Grill or Princess Grill...why not just call it what it is? Why does Britannia on the QM2, which carries the vast majority of her pax, have to be denigrated at all? We all book in the class we want, or can afford, to travel in....i don't get this. Penny

...QE2 is still the Queen of the Seas...

RJMS, we are looking forward to our QE2 voyage for the very reason she is the 'Queen of the Seas.' As to whether to choose a 'grill' or a Caronia/Mauretania "stateroom" we expect to be pleased with any outcome. Is a Rolls Royce better than a Ford? Of course it is, but is it a better choice?

As J.K. Rowling put it: "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Chris

Guys, why not agree to drop the term "s...ge" to stop upsetting folk. Let's use "economy" instead, if that's acceptable to all.

David.

You call $10,000. round trip for one person "economy"?

I thought QM2 was supposed to be a "luxury liner". There IS NO ECONOMY on a luxury liner. You'll find "economy" on any plain old cruise lines, but not on the Queens---unless you're talking about the cheapest inside cabins.

What's wrong with just calling it Britannia class....no one has problems referring to Mauretania, Coronia, Queens Grill or Princess Grill...why not just call it what it is? Why does Britannia on the QM2, which carries the vast majority of her pax, have to be denigrated at all? We all book in the class we want, or can afford, to travel in....i don't get this. Penny

Precisely. Why are the Grills people trying to be so snobby about it all of a sudden? It's as if the fact that there are no single cabins, so singles pay double, and the fact that those of us who pay on the high end of Britannia are lumped in with all the rest---it's as if those of you who choose to be in the Grills want to gloat about it or something.

What is it, the triumph of globalization and corporate new money? "Ha ha to all you poor "impovrished" aristocrats---you and your ilk are history, ha, ha (sinister cackle)!" "Mission accomplished..."

RJMS, we are looking forward to our QE2 voyage for the very reason she is the 'Queen of the Seas.' As to whether to choose a 'grill' or a Caronia/Mauretania "stateroom" we expect to be pleased with any outcome. Is a Rolls Royce better than a Ford? Of course it is, but is it a better choice?

As J.K. Rowling put it: "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Chris

And you are implying that those who choose the Grills are what? Superior to those who choose the other categories? How about being specific, instead of implying?

If that's what you mean then, of course it's nonsense, and I think you are trying to provoke.

Why are some people being condescending and impolite lately about cabin categories on QM2? I don't recall QE2 people behaving that way. Then again, I can remember, there were some people onboard QE2 who appeared quite obviously uncomfortable with the atmosphere on such a traditional ship, and no doubt much prefer the "Princessified" QM2 as a transatlantic liner.

Whoa Mollybrown....I'm not implying in my post that anyone is being snobby. I just don't care!! And I just don't attach any significance to where someone's cabin is located.

(Quote Mollybrown) " and the fact that those of us who pay on the high end of Britannia are lumped in with all the rest" (sorry, I don't know how to use the quote thing)--Isn't this just as inceniary a comment as you accuse others of? I'll be on Deck 11 in Dec...except for the fact that my view will be from a little higher point that makes me no different from anyone else in Britannia...we are "lumped in with all the rest", and SO WHAT??? We're all on the same ship going to the same places, and that's what my whole cruise is about....going places on an awesome ship with people I care about!

When I walk around that entire ship, and I do mean ENTIRE ship, no one but my husband and our 2 friends will know what cabin I'm in...nor will they care. Just please don't use my post to further your agenda...I doubt that we really do agree with each other. Cheers, Penny

Molly - we have a saying here, "inverted snob". I would not suggest in any way that you are one. It's just that you do seem to have a chip on your shoulder. I fly economy, you fly first class. Who cares, life's too short to bother.

David.

The sad truth, at least imo, is that everyone who sails on QM2, whether in Brittania or Grill class, is sailing on a mass market ship. I did two crossings on her in PG and there is no luxury at all aboard the ship with the exception of the service in the Grill restaurant which was admittedly excellent. Other than that there were lines everywhere, people milling around the Kings court with trays of food trying to locate a table, gold by the inch and t shirt sales outside the shops not to mention replicas of jewelry supposedly worn by the stars. It all reminded me of any mass market cruise ship out there. It is almost impossible to provide a luxury experience to 2600 passengers. That's all fine is you board expecting no more but Cunard advertises "White Star" luxury service. Good luck finding it.

The sad truth, at least imo, is that everyone who sails on QM2, whether in Brittania or Grill class, is sailing on a mass market ship........Cunard advertises "White Star" luxury service. Good luck finding it.

It is perfectly easy to find.

Just forget the QM2 and sail on QE2.

You even have single cabins available for every restaurant - even steerage!

Why are the Grills people trying to be so snobby about it all of a sudden? It's as if the fact that there are no single cabins, so singles pay double, and the fact that those of us who pay on the high end of Britannia are lumped in with all the rest---it's as if those of you who choose to be in the Grills want to gloat about it or something.

When we're on board QE2 no-one knows where our cabin is. We talk to other people on board, and reach any conclusions about them that we may make, with no knowledge of where their cabin is.

Even cabin numbers don't help much - there are cabins from very expensive suites to the cheapest inside cabins on deck 2, and deck one has almost as broad a range of accomodation. Not that it matters one jot in the main part of the ship.

Money doesn't buy class. Class isn't necessarily monied.

You call $10,000. round trip for one person "economy"?

I thought QM2 was supposed to be a "luxury liner". There IS NO ECONOMY on a luxury liner. You'll find "economy" on any plain old cruise lines, but not on the Queens---unless you're talking about the cheapest inside cabins.

Which is why I love Radission as all cabins are suites - some better than others, but all are a min 301 square feet without the balcony and have those huge walkunb closets and marble bathrooms. The ammenities and service are wonderful. One can upgrade to Butler Service and/or a larger suite, but it is luxury for all.

We are sailing on the NCL Crown to Bermuda since QE2 and Radisson no longer service Bermuda. We opted for the largest suite - an Owners Suite which is 620 Sq feet with a balcony the size of a regular cabin, which providers Concierge and Butler Service (7 day cruise) all for the same price I paid in 2003 for a Caronia Cabin on the QE2 to Bermuda for 6 days. While I do realize this is not a Cunard Experience, never the less we will be treated like queens in an Owners Suite on NCL.

I love Cunard, but for many of the sailings supply and demand prevails and they get what the marker will bear. I now look for better deals on Cunard. In the past I would just book a cruise I wanted, now I compare it towards what I can obtain luxury wise from other lines.

The sad truth, at least imo, is that everyone who sails on QM2, whether in Brittania or Grill class, is sailing on a mass market ship. .

That is it in a Nutshell as QM2 and QE2 are two different ships. While one may experience more of a traditional Cunard experience on a QM2 crossing, the Carribean Cruises are similar to what is offered by Celebrity, HAL, Princess as well as other mass market lines wuch as RCCL, NCL and even Carnival.

What else would one call a Deck Party (held in the Queens Room due to rain) whereby "Lets Call the Dogs Out" was performed and got everyone out on the dance floor. Then there was Karoke night in one of the lounges whereby this gentleman - who the night before was sitting so dignified at the Captain's table-a QG cat passenger invited for for dinner with the Captain in the Brittania - was belting out "Mandy" (It was not that he was off key, but singing the wrong key) and "Candida" - totally drunk and disorderly.

I found a Carrbean Cruise on QM2 to be more of a "fun ship" experience, which is not to say that I did not enjoy it as we did.

That is it in a Nutshell as QM2 and QE2 are two different ships. While one may experience more of a traditional Cunard experience on a QM2 crossing, the Carribean Cruises are similar to what is offered by Celebrity, HAL, Princess as well as other mass market lines wuch as RCCL, NCL and even Carnival.

What else would one call a Deck Party (held in the Queens Room due to rain) whereby "Lets Call the Dogs Out" was performed and got everyone out on the dance floor. Then there was Karoke night in one of the lounges whereby this gentleman - who the night before was sitting so dignified at the Captain's table-a QG cat passenger invited for for dinner with the Captain in the Brittania - was belting out "Mandy" (It was not that he was off key, but singing the wrong key) and "Candida" - totally drunk and disorderly.

I found a Carrbean Cruise on QM2 to be more of a "fun ship" experience, which is not to say that I did not enjoy it as we did.

That's hilarious.

I suppose one can't really expect much else when the company that is now running Cunard knows only your average cruise line type product.

They have to have things spelled out for them very specifically, and then they have to know that whatever you are proposing is marketable.

They think "Disneyland", "Hollywood". If you can appeal to them on that level, then the lightbulb will appear, and they'll no doubt beleive it was their idea all along.

The bottom line is we have a choice when we sail on QM2(thank goodness). On Celebrity or Princess we are stuck with the massive dining rooms with a 1,000 people or paying extra to eat restaurant quality food in their optional dining room. Cunard gives us the option to dine with lots of people or with a few people. It's your individual taste (and bank account). The decision is no different than your taste in food. Do you like Italian or French better? I would never look down upon someone for their personal taste. I only expect reciprication when I make my choice. If I choose the Grills I shouldn't be called a snob or elitist because of my own desires. Do what ever is right for YOU.

Archived