Traveling with young teens - cash accepted on board?

larie

We are traveling with our 14 and 12 years olds. Can they use cash in the gift shop etc...or does it have to be charged on there roomcard? (going on Carnival)

Is there a charge for the arcade and how much? Once again, can they pay cash or have to charge it on the roomcard?

Do these roomcards have unlimited spending or can a daily limit be place on them?

Any info would be appreciated.

I have only cruised on Carnival so far (RCI next year), but we were given the option at embarkation of whether we wanted our kids (10 and 13) to have charge priveledges on their cards (we said no).

They came to us frequently during the week for cash for the arcade.

Towards the end of the week, my daughter wanted a henna tatoo and tried to pay with cash; they wouldn't take it but did take her S&S card. I was surprised it worked, considering she should have been banned from charging (but I'm glad she had a way to pay for it). I'm glad she didn't figure out early in the week that she could possibly charge herself - no telling how many virgin daiquiris she would have bought!

Interested to hear how it works on RCI.

I can't recall if RCI allowed spending limits on my 13 y/o son's SeaPass card. We never used spending limits because with the interactive TV in your cabin you can view the real time spending of anyone in your party. I don't know if Carnival has this feature. We even used this feature to help us locate him, because we knew exactly where he spent last! We imposed a $20 limit per day and this covered "mocktails", arcade, temporary tatoos (airbrushed), etc. He stayed within our limits and with the interactive TV, there weren't any surprises!

The Arcades on RCI ships (Mariner of the Seas) have machines in the arcade that will advance a certain dollar amount to your SeaPass card for arcade use.

The interactive TV also let us book tours, but I will warn that many sell out prior to sailing because so many are booked online ahead of time.

Hope that helps!

Archived