Emerald Princess thermal suite

Spudd

I'm planning on a cruise on the Emerald next year. In reading about their thermal suite I see it has a "gentle sauna". 

I'm looking for reviews from someone who has used it. I'm used to a normal sauna so a "gentle" one sounds like a waste of time. I'm wondering how gentle it is, or is it like a normal one?

Very annoyed they took the old ones out of the change rooms!

10 minutes ago, Spudd said:

I'm looking for reviews from someone who has used it. I'm used to a normal sauna so a "gentle" one sounds like a waste of time. I'm wondering how gentle it is, or is it like a normal one?

A detailed description of the Emerald Princess Thermal Suite (with photos):

https://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.com/2013/02/thermal-suite.html

Agree that the Thermal Suite on the Emerald needs some improvement. I was on the Emerald for a Caribbean cruise (NYC to Fort Lauderdale repositioning) in early November. I had a full suite but had to really dig deep into the various benefit data to determine that I was entitled to such access. The location of the thermal suite is not the most inviting location - have to walk down a somewhat dark and foreboding stairway to arrive at the location. There are five lounging chairs provided, which proved somewhat inadequate on a fully booked ship. When finally able to access, they were very comfortable and relaxing. However, in comparison with the setup of the Holland America lounges - on those ships that I have been on, the comparison was most unfavorable. Kind of the difference between a room that feels like a dungeon and one that has views of the seas outside from the multiple windows provided on HAL. I know that some may indicate that the older ships would make a difference, but we were on the comparably aged Zuiderdam this summer and it had some wonderful sea views. On Emerald, there was the ability to go out to a private pool and hot tub, but it was not really disclosed and ine had to deduce that they could use those facilities- had to venture out and use, with no objection from any staff. The Thermal Suite did have a very good Aromameric "I would call it a pod due to its small size - two fit comfortably and if anyone else wishes to enter "very to maybe ta Bravo show friendly". I may have missed it, but did not see real saunas on board, only two mild versus more intense steam rooms -not quite the same as a "real" sauna.

Bottom line: I don't think that Princess really has put any emphasis on the value of the facility, keeping things somewhat dark and dreary in atmosphere, figuring that the suite guests won't figure out that they are entitled to this perk as part of their reservation. I know that Princess and HAL are "cousins" through ownership. but a conversation or review of what HAL has accomplished with similar space restrictions would definitely be beneficial for Princess.