Quick MSC Seashore Review Dec 10-17, 2023

CruisingWalter

On 12/27/2023 at 12:11 PM, Cruise8090 said:

I'm sure MSC corporate is still getting slammed by cruisers on both sides of that date. While I take all remarks on a forum with a grain of salt, I'm sure there are significant complaints found there too. Personally, I'd like to see If MSC learned and improved from the 12/17 fiasco, so I will likely try them one more time.

We will most likely try a Yacht Club sailing at some point, but we're in no rush to do so. The drop in quality between May on the Seaside and December on Seashore was noticeable. When we have so many other choices to cruise, at the moment we're spending our money elsewhere. 

13 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

It's the micromanagement of the cruise line that I'm referring to. Literally every decision onboard the ship has to be approved by Italy HQ. Every decision by the North American offices in Miami have to be approved by Italy HQ.

Seriously, you don't believe this; at least you certainly can assert it, but never prove it.  Again, seriously?

Management onboard the ships are not empowered to make financial decisions for guests as they are on other cruise lines. They are running the management of the cruise line like the shipping company. Not how they treat the customers. 

That's totally imaginary and absurd.  They are not running MSC cruises, now grown into the #3 spot with a massive increase in ships and capacity going forward (with little debt), from the shipping company 'bridge."  Again, seriously?

It's the micromanagement of the cruise line that I'm referring to.

Alleging.

All of the cruise lines are getting the same complaints, service, food, out-of-stocks, liquor choices and on and on.  Check all of the CC forums.  Across the boards.  MSC is no different.

3 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Seriously, you don't believe this; at least you certainly can assert it, but never prove it.  Again, seriously?

Well, the MSC Representatives will never say this publicly, but yes, this is how they run the company. My TA has been told this multiple times. "Well, we can't do anything directly, we'll have to get approval from our headquarters first, we'll get back to you" in response to our questions about the service or problems onboard. If MSC representatives are saying this to my TA, then I have to take their word for it. 

4 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

That's totally imaginary and absurd.  They are not running MSC cruises, now grown into the #3 spot with a massive increase in ships and capacity going forward (with little debt), from the shipping company 'bridge."  Again, seriously?

They definitely know how to build ships and they're using the freight company money to do so. That's how they kept building and ordering more ships during the pandemic while others scaled back. They made massive profits during the pandemic and made smart business decision to keep building. But quantity does not translate to quality.

I'm much more used to the ships themselves being much more empowered to make decisions. Such as our recent experience on Sky Princess when a meal went sideways and they comped the meal but then went much further to ensure the rest of our cruise was a pleasant one. No need to check with HQ in Miami, just a ship based decision made by the dining captain with daily follow-up for the rest of the cruise. We've had similar experiences on the other 8 cruise lines we've sailed.

The difference in management on MSC is pretty stark. If MSC can get the hotel and F&B management to match the quality of their ships, they will be amazing. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

Well, the MSC Representatives will never say this publicly, but yes, this is how they run the company. My TA has been told this multiple times. "Well, we can't do anything directly, we'll have to get approval from our headquarters first, we'll get back to you" in response to our questions about the service or problems onboard. If MSC representatives are saying this to my TA, then I have to take their word for it. 

They definitely know how to build ships and they're using the freight company money to do so. That's how they kept building and ordering more ships during the pandemic while others scaled back. They made massive profits during the pandemic and made smart business decision to keep building. But quantity does not translate to quality.

I'm much more used to the ships themselves being much more empowered to make decisions. Such as our recent experience on Sky Princess when a meal went sideways and they comped the meal but then went much further to ensure the rest of our cruise was a pleasant one. No need to check with HQ in Miami, just a ship based decision made by the dining captain with daily follow-up for the rest of the cruise. We've had similar experiences on the other 8 cruise lines we've sailed.

The difference in management on MSC is pretty stark. If MSC can get the hotel and F&B management to match the quality of their ships, they will be amazing. 

Whatever, everyone is entitled to an opinion.  We're not big on reliance on "MSC Representatives will never say this publicly" and "Well, we can't do anything directly, we'll have to get approval from our headquarters first, we'll get back to you" type quotes.  Especially if then 3rd hand via a Travel Agent (not the most reliable source of characters).

Regarding quantity not translating into quality, of course.  But simply no viable basis to make the assertion.  No way billions spent to have quantity of low-quality service and offerings to customers.  Seriously, this is the second time I've seen the business plan thesis.  RCCL is building the biggest ships with the largest passenger counts and Celebrity is just completing the huge E-Class.  A lot of volume.  I wonder if they are merely adding quantity with the same plan to lower quality?  I doubt it.

But checking the CC boards for them, lots and lots and lots of similar complaining.

Again, I don't believe they're checking with Italy to 'comp' a meal.  Geeze.  'Comp a meal' is a serious issue?

We see no difference, across the stateroom comparable (apples-to-apples) classes on the ships of the different lines we've sailed - Disney, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Celebrity and MSC since 2008.  We also see the same nit-picking of a really, really small sub-percentage on minor items that are common to all lines of sea ships.

As an FYI, the MSC USA Director of Operations for Customer Service (Pre- and Post- Cruise),  the VP and the CEO are located here in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Take care.  If one isn't happy with one line, it's quite simple, go to another.  There are a lot of choices.  There is also no need to worry about the finances of MSC, they are quite well of (the envy of the other cruise lines burdened with debt and annual interest expense that eats into the cruise passengers services, food, beverage etc.) costs of operations.

Edited by At Sea At Peace

5 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

As an FYI, the MSC USA Director of Operations for Customer Service (Pre- and Post- Cruise),  the VP and the CEO are located here in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Yes, I know. We've interacted with them.  

7 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

There is also no need to worry about the finances of MSC, they are quite well of (the envy of the other cruise lines burdened with debt and annual interest expense that eats into the cruise passengers services, food, beverage etc.) costs of operations.

Obviously you are their Number One Fan and they're lucky to have you.  I wish you well. 

1 hour ago, CruisingWalter said:

Obviously you are their Number One Fan and they're lucky to have you.  I wish you well. 

We've actually been on Royal / Celebrity for 102 Nights or 46% of our cruises in the past 10-years.  Followed by MSC 70 Nights or 31%, then Norwegian 49 Nights or 22% and just one 3 Night Disney.

Pretty much see them all with pro's and con's, pluses and minuses, but at the end of the cruise almost always a good time regardless of what went 'not perfect.'  Pick different lines at different times for different reasons and experiences.

image.thumb.png.619cc8e70180629ca1b0b4ecc7eb2b3d.png