What is the difference between Discovery Family and "regular" excursion

MudderBear

Sometimes when looking at excursions, I'll find two that are very similar but one says Discovery Family and the other doesn't.  The Discovery Famiily costs about $10 more.  For instance, in Genoa, there is a Discovery Family Portofino, Santa Margherita & Rapallo, and a very similar one that isn't Discovery Family and the only real difference is the sequence of what towns you visit first.

Is there a big difference....not just here in Italy but all over where Princess sails.?  The non-discovery was already sold out (YIKES!!!), so I paid for the Discovery Family one.  

Here's what the Princess website says about the Discovery Family excursions, and the link.  These tours are supposed to appeal to kids 3 - 12 years old.  We've never done the Discovery Family ones but we have done the Discovery Exclusive ones which typically have behind the scenes or other special features not available on other tours.  I'd probably compare the details tab to see what specifically is different about the tours, that's one thing I like about the Princess website over other cruise lines' -- the detailed descriptions for travel time and time at each sight on excursions.

https://www.princess.com/ports-excursions/

Screenshot2023-12-187_30_45PM.thumb.png.95ed03c96bcd9b4b2f77855d8934623a.png

Edited by Paula_MacFan

I looked at the 2 excursions that I think you're referring to in Genoa.  The Discovery Family version has '30 minutes for refreshments at a local cafe' and is one hour shorter in duration, while the other tour has '1.5 hours for lunch at a local restaurant' and the whole tour is one hour longer.  I would surmise the 'local restaurant' isn't as kid-friendly as the 'local cafe', and with the shorter time may be more kid friendly on the Discovery Family version.