Zip line and Cave tubing...Pregnant???

MACTeach

I am leaving on Saturday the 25 for my cruise on NCL. I just found out recently that I will be about 8 weeks pregnant when I go on the cruise (yeah for me!!:)). Anyway, we have already booked the zip line and cave tubing thorugh the cruise and I was wondering what other people thought about doing it while pregnant. Yes, I have called NCL and they could not really give me a reason as to why I should not. Yes, I talked to my doctor and she couldn't give me an answer either. She said that she didn't think that it would do any harm but they would never tell me to do it (as I can see that from a liability standpoint). She also went on to say that if I miscarried later on they woudl have no idea if it was from the excursion or not. Basically, I was told that I would need to make the decision. I cannot see any harm in the cave tubing, so I am just wondering about the zip line. I have never done a zip line before but I did see one on the Amazing Race last week, and it didn't look like it could cause a miscarraige.

Can anyone shed any light onto this situation... I know that each person is an individual, but I am just curious. Anyone do this while pregnant? Any mothers out there see a potential problem?

Please let me know!!:o

I ve never done either of these, nor have I seen them. How much bouncing and slamming down on the water do these rides incur? If it is a violent ride I wouldn't want to risk it IMO. Also, would ruin your cruise besides wouldn't it?

I'm not an expert (or even an MD - lol) but I have had 3 kids and I'm a physical therapist with ob/gyn training. Unless you are considered high risk in any way (then I definately wouldn't do it), I don't see a problem as you won't have a "baby bump" yet that would interfere with harnessing you in. I did the zipline/cave tube combo in belize this year and honestly the cave tube was more taxing than the zip (alot of arm paddling). During the zip all you do is hang there with one hand on the line as a brake. Only you can decide, however. Good luck.

Standard disclaimer applies, but I don't see how it would be an issue unless you are high risk. I did this just last week and yes, the tubing is more taxing than zipping, but both a lot of fun.

Tubing is not bouncy at all. Sometimes the water is real shallow-- right where it picks up speed and will hurt if you dont heed your guides warning of "butts up"!

Of course it's your decision... I've never been pregnant and likely won't be (it's a guy thing, lol) but it seems safe enough to me.

The cave tubing is like the lazy river ride at your local amusement park. Your bottom sits in the tube so you are bent a little at the middle.

On the zip-line, the harness goes around your hips. The straps are around your upper legs and around your lower back. There are no straps across your abdomen.

Contact the tour group and give them a heads up. I am sure they will take good care of you.

Archived