Cruise lines becoming less solo friendly

SoloFullTime

Have noticed supplements are increasing and some lines like MSC are not allowing solo to be booked at times or allowing fewer solo.  Are there agencies that can get around this?  Any suggestions getting best deals for solo cruisers?  Was hoping to cruise near full time across many lines next year but might be cutting that to less than half what I was hoping for, maybe a quarter.  

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I heard an announcement that Celebrity Cruise (RCCL Intl) is increasing their rates for solo cruisers cabin because of loss of revenue. Why???  single are discrimnated. Some are single by choice but their is a few of us that are not. Cruising is a way of relaxing and getting a chance to meet other passengers. Does it cost more to clean a single person than a couple or family? The cost of dining, beverages and excursions has gone up, policy changes etc.. We still pay the same as other cruiser.  I have been on 15+ cruises but now I am going to try other cruise lines. 

On 1/5/2024 at 2:25 AM, INGODWETRUST said:

Why???  single are discrimnated.

Very simple: on average us solos spend less (in total, and probably per head) than couples so from a commercial pov are less desirable.

I frequently sail alone.  I had the same encounter with MSC in December.  I have always considered cruising a safer means of travel for single women.  I do not understand the point of creating solo cabins and then penalizing solo travelers. 

I disagree with the notion that solo travelers spend less money.  Solo travelers often book more excursions through the ship for safety reasons.

Edited by BONITAJ
Spelling error

I disagree with Melbtone - not all ......solos spend less (in total) than couples.  I have sailed alone and spent/booked excursion for safety reason, booked specialty restaurants I wanted to try out because when I travel with companiions, some members of the party was not interested in specialty dining because of cost or various other reason etc, so this is my chance to do what I want to do.

You think you would want more people crusing?  You make a profit in what you sell!!!

On 1/12/2024 at 5:22 AM, INGODWETRUST said:

I disagree with Melbtone - not all ......solos spend less (in total) than couples.  I have sailed alone and spent/booked excursion for safety reason, booked specialty restaurants I wanted to try out because when I travel with companiions, some members of the party was not interested in specialty dining because of cost or various other reason etc, so this is my chance to do what I want to do.

You think you would want more people crusing?  You make a profit in what you sell!!!

It was meant as a generalisation which I stand by. Of course there will be exceptions.