Packing Question - Portable Battery Chargers

burnsva

Hi,

Planning for our first TA.  I know that you cannot bring extension cords or power strips with Circuit Breakers.  Are portable battery charger permissible? The kind that you plug in to charge and then charge your phone or ipad via a usb cable?  Trying to figure out a workaround for no outlets on bedside tables.  Thank you!

Yes, no problem there. There are UK and USA power sockets on the desk for QM2. The other thing to consider is a power bank with a decent storage, so you can charge that up from those desk sockets, then use that power bank to charge your phone or iPad by your bedside or anywhere else.

• Like 3

I always travel with a couple of Power-Banks, a 10,000mAh and 20,000mAh, I've never had an issue... I always keep the 10,000mAh in my walk around backpack just in case I get caught out with a low phone/camera/tablet battery, handy if you get delayed anywhere, airports that lack charging points or such... 

Be mindful if you're flying with them you have to pack them in your carry-on luggage, do not pack them in your checked luggage... (The logic is: it's easier to put out a battery fire in the cabin rather than the cargo hold)

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/power-banks

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/lithium-batteries

Also be mindful around 20,000mAh is about the maximum size you can fly with, most common ones are this size or smaller...

I always end up using them for one thing or another... On my recent NZ cruise I left a power-bank and an old phone in a dry-bag secured to a balcony chair to record the GPS track for the whole cruise, so I could tie my AUS & NZ roadtrip GPS tracks together on my map... 

2023-Aus-NZsmall.jpg

• Like 4