For WillK

SDHALFAN

Hi Will,

I noticed that there are, all of a sudden, several book-related threads (not a bad thing at all IMHO:D ). These threads are certainly much more interesting than the usual "Smuggling booze aboard ship"; "Just exactly what is the dress code?"; and the ever popular "Do we really have to tip?", etc.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you once again for the book recommendations. I have finished "Titanic Survivor - Violet Jessop" (what an incredible story of an incredible woman!), and am almost done with "Freighter Days", wherein I found myself loving this couple and totally enthralled by their enjoyment of their days at sea aboard a Freighter and their explorations in the various ports - wish I could have met them and listened to their tales.

Now - this is probably going to be "heresy" on a HAL board, but I have to admit that my favorite of your recommendations is "Nothing Can Go Wrong" by Captain Kilpack. I found it to be even funnier than Captain Mateboer's (although that is one heck of a great read, and I highly recommend it to anyone) and it has the added attraction of being co-authored by John D. MacDonald so one gets both the Captain's and the passenger's view of all those things that "can't go wrong" - Yeah, right!:D

I see that there is a "Lending Library" thread going now and that's a great idea, but please don't anyone contact me regarding these books because I'm going to be keeping them and reading them over and over again (all 4 of them).

Thanks again Will, these books have given me hours of entertainment - some tears, but mostly lots of laughter (oh, and of course the dreaded "I need a cruise - and I mean NOW fever" - maybe with the exception of the Violet Jessop book:eek: ).

Valerie:)

Valerie- I'm so glad that you've enjoyed those books! And like you, I'm hesitant to lend them.:) I usually pass books on, but these are all keepers.

I hope that you'll get a copy of "If I Were Not Upon the Sea". I'd love to hear your opinion of it. The author has a great wit and an irrepressible sense of optimism that's quite charming.

I'm joining your mutiny: I agree that "Nothing Can Go Wrong" by John Kilpack is the clear winner in the Captain's literary competition. At the same time, I really did enjoy "The Captain's Log" by Hans Mateboer.

We may both be in trouble now...instead of walking the plank on our next cruise we may be faced with something much more gruesome and unsavory...enforced reading of dress code violation threads!:D

Cheers-Will

Archived