RAILWAY ISSUES: Moving by train around Spain

For everyone looking for railway tickets in Spain.

The company "iryo" has make a flash offer until March 17th.

Railway tickets starting on 18 euro

There are available from Barcelona to Madrid, Zaragoza and Sevilla with this company (and all trains take the same time)

Fresh from the train

I have posted this pictures in a Renfe AVE train about cafeteria

Basically you have

- coffee + croissant/sweet snack/...

- coffee + muffin

- sandwich (Spanish ham / Jam+chees / chicken... ---) + snack + drink

plus other snacks and drinks

It is not a huge offer but enough for a fast lunch when travelling

And remember you can always bring your own food or drinks bought anywhere

IMG20240303104837.thumb.jpg.c9a3db8cd8109ee87f8c76b66a1e0ea9.jpg

IMG20240303104745.jpg.8bd45fe6b959d7cabfa2971d03b4ad14.jpg

IMG20240303104801.jpg.b8ff1a64a3bcd3962f5eeaa74f9ac45c.jpg

IMG20240303104810.jpg.46ba383096f9f464e0fc3d54e8d2b36b.jpg

IMG20240303104819.thumb.jpg.6d2f00b3b0f8c9b337ca35a76dcd48e8.jpg

IMG20240303104826.jpg.d3fccbe8342007029804291fd79ce90b.jpg

IMG20240303104837.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ouigo has opened reservations for tickets in summer and last side 2024.

They have only five Barcelona - Madrid trains but if you can get them.... just have a look for prices

image.thumb.png.ab5d746c220df6f0154dc307e20ec6ba.png

If it is not possible to use these schedules, just use Renfe or Iryo but... 9 euro is not bad for a journey

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2024 at 1:37 PM, alserrod said:

>> Tickets are purchased on the Renfe website. It has an English version (and in French in case anyone needs it)
https://www.renfe.com/es/en
I recommend creating a username and password to purchase. You can later download the mobile application (or you can buy directly from there). With the username and password you can see the tickets.

A large THANK YOU to Alserrod for all of the detail about Renfe.  Somewhere I read that the Renfe site is quirky.  It sure is! After multiple tries on multiple devices (laptop, phone, and finally iPad tablet - the device that worked) and multiple calls to the bank to ensure no "fraudulent" purchase hold was on my credit card, I was able to buy two Premium Seats from Madrid to Barcelona.  

Here are my questions:

1. My husband uses a cane. Is there anyone at the station who can help us bring the luggage to the train and put it on the train for us? In the US this is called Red Cap service.

2. I booked seats 1B and 1C in the 2nd carriage. Does it have a window or should we move to 2B and 2C?  Is there luggage storage at our end of the carriage (not just over the seat where I know we cannot lift our suitcases)?

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Traveling Library said:

A large THANK YOU to Alserrod for all of the detail about Renfe.  Somewhere I read that the Renfe site is quirky.  It sure is! After multiple tries on multiple devices (laptop, phone, and finally iPad tablet - the device that worked) and multiple calls to the bank to ensure no "fraudulent" purchase hold was on my credit card, I was able to buy two Premium Seats from Madrid to Barcelona.  

Here are my questions:

1. My husband uses a cane. Is there anyone at the station who can help us bring the luggage to the train and put it on the train for us? In the US this is called Red Cap service.

2. I booked seats 1B and 1C in the 2nd carriage. Does it have a window or should we move to 2B and 2C?  Is there luggage storage at our end of the carriage (not just over the seat where I know we cannot lift our suitcases)?

Cheers!

Glad to know my information was helpful for you.

I will try to answer your questions.

Renfe web seems to be the worst out of all travelling companies. It is a long time I read they are going to set a new system (it seems easier to have a new one instead of improving it) but... it remains.

I guess you have taken your Renfe user and pwd. With it, you can now download its mobile app. You log in and you will see your tickets.

It is enough with the QR code in the mobile for travelling.

there is assitance for disabled and other people who require it. It is called Attendo and you can read more about them here

https://www.renfe.com/es/en/travel/informacion-util/servicio-de-asistencia/what-is-it

I haven't used it and I do not know much more about it. I have seen people using it in some stations. I thought you had to ask it previously but as I see, main stations have Attendo service 24h.

I have seen them putting up small ramps to reach train from the platform (sometimes you can have a very small step)

I have seen helping to a blind person

etc...

Regarding seats, there are windows, obviously. It is first row of seats (seat 1A is isolated after the corridor, in premium class seats are located 2+1).

Providing they are empty, you can change seats, obviously (or asking holders to change)

If you say me train number (or departure hour) I can check if it is a direct train or it has some stops.

In any case, in Madrid you have to go to Puerta de Atocha station (near Prado museum), not to Chamartin station. Madrid is the only city (yet) with two stations.... Anyway, it is enough to tell taxi driver that train is for Barcelona or show your ticket.

• Thanks 1

For luggage, there are storage places at the end of each carriage and over seats.

It is expected to put your biggest suitcases at the end of them, smallest (like cabin suitcases) over you.

If an assistant helps you, ask him to put at the end of carriage/over you.

If you have requested, another assistant will be waiting for you in Barcelona and will help you with your luggage.

Cuánto equipaje puedo llevar en los trenes Renfe en España? - Info Viajera

• Thanks 1