Benoa (Bali) Indonesia independent travel information

geri

I arrived in Bali via Oceania Cruises and spent 2 days there (an overnight port).  Thought I'd share a few hints that might help someone else in their cruise stopover.

* The cruise port of Bali is small compared to other ports.  There will be no large shopping areas etc.  Dancers are usually awaiting you when a ship first arrives.

* Prior to arrival in Bali you will need to secure a "travel visa".  

* When exiting the port from a ship you will need to show an electronic bar code.  When you are on your ship you will be sent instructions on where  you need to go online to complete the arrival questions and ultimately obtain the barcode.  Once the barcode displays you will need to download it to your phone "file" or do a cut & paste of the barcode and send it to yourself via an email.  (This is in addition to the previously mentioned  "travel visa" that you secure and pay for before you leave home.). You are going to have to show this barcode to the agents each time you exit the port.  You will also have your bags checked as you exit the port by the local government authorities.

* The taxi association of Bali will not allow ship-to-city shuttle type services.  You either go on a ship sponsored tour, arrange for a private driver to meet you or negotiate a trip/price with one of the taxi drivers outside the port.

* Bali is very chaotic & congested with traffic.  Whatever you think might be possible to see in a day based on a map is highly unlikely.  You must factor in plenty of time for standstill traffic.  There are also hundreds of scooters on the roads, as this is the primary transport means for most people.  Scooters will drive fast and weave in and out of traffic.  It is almost impossible to cross the road and I found that the driver I had hired needed to walk across roads with us in order to visit temples etc.

* The people of Bali are extremely kind and friendly. 

* Hygiene will not be what you are used to in Westernized countries.  Carry your own hand wash/sanitizers/toilet paper with you.

* Water is contaminated so you must drink bottled water or ensure whatever water is being used was throughly boiled. This includes prepared foods as well.

* Malaria is present.  If you choose to not take anti-malarials ensure you are covered head to toe and spray with DEET.  Dengue fever is also present so even if you do decide to take anti-malarials you should still use DEET, particularly if you are out at night or going into any wooded settings.

* I used a driver named Dewa Gede who I found online and had great reviews.  When I reached out to him he was highly responsive.  He will happily tailor whatever type of adventures you want.  As it happened the two days I was there he was unavailable, but he organized and managed a driver for me by the name of Mr. Putu Will.  Putu was an excellent driver and when we ran into some seriously bad traffic jams he suggested alternative places to visit.  A very kind and considerate man who made our two days outstanding.

* If you are someone who is boarding a ship in Bali be aware that you may need to stand outside, in the sun and in a line for quite some time.  Since we were traveling through Bali on a multi-day itinerary this did not apply to us, but I noticed the Celebrity Millennium ship next to us that had a full ship boarding day and the line outside the ship was extensive.

Enjoy your visit to Bali!

• Thanks 2