First Time Cruise with a Group - Help me pick

On 1/6/2024 at 11:34 PM, DCruisinlife said:

Apologies in advance for the wordiness...

A group of friends (35-40 age range; no kids) are planning a Caribbean cruise. We're looking at a few options for May on Royal Caribbean. I realize the ultimate choice here is highly subjective, but if there are considerations I'm not thinking of or additional insight to share it would be helpful...

• Orlando - St. Maarten - St. Thomas - CocoCay; 7 nights; Wonder of the Seas

• Pro: very good ship (as far as my research tells me); 7 nights sounds about right

• Con: Orlando a bit less accessible but certainly not a dealbreaker; slightly less preferable ports (from my impression)

• NYC - Bermuda - St. Maarten - San Juan - Labadee; 9 nights; Liberty of the Seas

• Pro: NYC port more accessible for most of the group; includes all the top ports based on general consensus research and frankly, those that I perceive I'd be most interested in
  • Con: older; less-impressive ship (?); nine-night cruise (?)

Group: mix of beachy and non-beach people, but overall definitely like exploring and a variety of things to do on vacation; most not uber-partiers, but still like to live it up occasionally and still know how to have fun...good drinks/good food; some adventure seekers.

I see the decision as newer/better ship with average ports vs. older (less good?) ship with a bit better and more ports overall. Some days I find that I value the ports more and if you had asked me before I did a deep dive into cruise life, that definitely would've been my priority. As I've researched, I find myself drawn in by the Oasis class. This being most of our first cruises, I wonder if we should go with the itinerary that gives us the best impression of the cruise itself. Or as newbies would we even notice the wear and tear on Liberty or whatever it's lacking in amenities? and/or is Wonder more than we bargained for (e.g. kids running around; long lines)?

Then there is the duration consideration--is nine nights just too long for a group of friends on most of their first cruises regardless; my perception before planning was that seven nights was the sweet spot. But folks here may tell me I'll love those two extra days at sea.

Or are we crazy as late 30-somethings with no kids even looking at Royal Caribbean; should we pass and go with Virgin Voyages? Or if there is another itinerary I should look out for, let me know.

I'd like to think I've narrowed it down to all good options (even the VV possibility) which is what makes this difficult, but certainly appreciate any

To me , especially as first time cruisers I would not put any weight to the fact that Wonder might be a better ship. Liberty , though it will show a bit of age , is a well sized and outfitted ship . My opinion would be if you are looking for the "biggest and best"on your first cruise , that certainly limits where you want to go from there . Also , Though Oasis class are certainly going to give you the absolute most in bells and whistles , MANY cruisers prefer the slightly smaller .

Personally , the only thing I feel I will miss when I board Liberty in a month is the Aqua show . But I'll catch it on the next go round !

Cheers

• Like 1