Secrets to upgrading??

disneygirl1

We are cruising to Alaska in September and have what I consider an undesireable verandah stateroom - it's up front, over the theater and has the big steel supports around our balcony!! My travel agent says she can't get anything else but there has to be something available. I've heard you can try to upgrade as soon as you board, if you board early. Any truth to that rumor??

We are cruising to Alaska in September and have what I consider an undesireable verandah stateroom - it's up front, over the theater and has the big steel supports around our balcony!! My travel agent says she can't get anything else but there has to be something available. I've heard you can try to upgrade as soon as you board, if you board early. Any truth to that rumor??

Hi Disney....

It depends what you mean by "Upgrade". If you are looking for something for free, bascially the answer is... forget it. Celebrity rarely offers free upgrades these days, especially to places like Alaska, where the ships are pretty full.

If you are talking about paying for an upgrade, you can check with the Pier coordinator when you get to the terminal. This is a big longshot as well. I have tried this about 15 times, and only once, were they willing to sell me an upgrade. The price was so high, that I stayed with my original cabin.

I am sorry that I do not have a happier answer for you, but Cruising is very strong right now, and therefore not much optimism for upgrades. I always recommend to pick a cabin you like, so there will be no disappointments.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Buy what you want...enjoy what you get...not much chance you'll find yourself in any other cabin but the one you selected.

Thankfully X seldom plays this game...even less often if you are a proven client.

Chances are if cabins are on short supply in yoru category.. your sailing is pretty full.

What date are you sailing?? and ship?? I am assuming Summit, but you may be on Infinity??

Bear in mind that these are all deposits. When the time comes for passengers to pay in full, many have decided not to go. Also look on Expedia, Travelocity etc. as they take group cabins.

Start looking or phoning Celebrity every day when full payment is due and I would be amazed if you didn't get a better location!! May have to pay the going rate though!!!

With Alaska make sure you are on the best side for viewing.

Hi Disneygirl,

The likelihood of a VERANDAH cabin being available at boarding is laughable at best. I don't know where crazy rumors like that start. Those are the cabins that book first and stay booked. As one of the posters suggested, check with your agent 60 days before sailing, which is final payment day. Something could open up then, but you will pay the rate that cabin is selling for on that day. That's just the way it is.

I booked my Alaskan cruise for Sept. 2006 last October, and even then, port side verahdah cabins were completely sold out. I was disappointed at first, but found another cabin starboard in a great location and am happy with that.

As Danno said, when you book, always book what you want, or barring that, book what will make you happy as a second choice. That is really the only sure way to get the cabin you are expecting. Hoping for an upgrade only leads to disappointment. Alaskan cruises ARE mostly sell outs. I hope you have a great cruise! :-)

Cheers~

Yes, we are on Infinity. I heard maybe you can pay for an upgrade when you board. I'm probably overthinking the whole stateroom thing - probably reading too many travelogues! Sounds like experienced cruisers think our location on Infinity will be just fine. Plus, my husband thinks we'll have more protection on our balcony in the rain, LOL!

aack! Which side is that??? We are currently booked on the starboard side with a verandah.

Don't worry, you will be fine. I checked your itinerary. Sides only matter if you are doing a northbound or southbound ONLY. You are doing Inside Passage, Vancouver to San Francisco. Don't worry about which side you are on, you will have a nice view because of the path the ship takes. ONLY if your cruise begins/ends in Seward or Whittier do you need to worry about which side. So you're fine. :)

The big internet sites all have deck plans and what cabins are available for your cruise. Put in your cruise date and look at the available cabins yourself. Also, Celebrity has a list of available cabins but they hardly ever display all of them.

Disney .. if you are in one of the Deck 6 forward balconies that have the 'secret' extended balconies then you are going to pleasantly surprised. We had one of these on a Europe cruise a few years ago and loved it so much we have booked another this May - also in Europe. The extended balcony is great and the supports are no intrusion whatsoever. In fact, you are getting 'something for nothing' as these cabins are no more expensive than those with the 'normal' size balconies. There is no noise from the theatre and remember it would only be in use for shows 'pre-midnight' so if there was any noise, hopefully it wouldn't affect your sleep for too long!

If i were you, I would be very pleased with this cabin assignment. We have actually asked NOT to be upgraded (should a miracle happen and it be offered) unless it's of course a suite!!

Archived