P&O Indonesia and Visas?

Last time we went to Indonesia with P&O we had to hand in our passports on embarking for a blanket visa (AU,NZ Passports at a cost), Some are now saying we must now get our own Visa prior to Saling but how will Indo Emigration check those visas especially when our first stop is Komodo which has no passport control?

Usually Indo Emigration gets on in Australia and issues the 2-3000+ visas over the time it takes to get to Indonesia.

Also last cruise those that did get their visa prior still had to hand in their passports and were still charged the blanket visa fee.

P&O,s visa requirements are not clear given they state a cost for AU/NZ Passport holders and that Guests should have one blank page!

:All guests are advised to visit https://evisa.imigrasi.go.id/ to determine their individual visa requirements for entry into Indonesia, and apply for the relevant visa in advance. For Australian and New Zealand passport holders, the required visa will cost IDR 500,000 (approximately $AU48). Guests should have at least one blank passport page available for the visa.

Update nobody at P&O seems to know? lol   The World is now a very strange place for sure! So far 3 P&O staff have admitted that they have never travelled overseas let alone on a cruise and do not understand both Visa protocol and VOA protocol! Its just not on their or their supervisors cheat sheet list of Customer answers to Questions. lol

I tried to get an e-VOA and even a 30 day  Visa online but I cannot continue to payment because I don't have an address in Indonesia that I will be spending most of my time during the visit!

P&O FB helpline said maybe just show up and P&O "may" do it for you onboard?

I will go to the Embassy and get a visa but many live too far away to do this, P&O really need to get their act together with correct passenger visa information that's for sure.

All very confusing.  In the same situation, but of course didn't even think of Komodo Island.  It appears they don't really want us to get off anyway, limited shore excursion and lots of walking if you do.  From my research we need to get a SG Arrival card in Singapore as well.  All very vague, surely they can do this from the Ship. Let's hope for calm seas and good weather.  

• Like 2

Quick update From P&O after long online conversations (would you trust it)?

Hi again, Dennis. Our crew members have a visa, as it's one of the requirements. Australian and New Zealand passport holders who do not purchase a visa prior to the cruise can purchase one onboard. Thank you, -Anne.

It would have been so Simple to put this advise out there! I am old school and well travelled as well as most on CC and know a bit about VOA and Visas Which obviously P&O staff have not been trained in!

12 hours ago, jebo said:

All very confusing.  In the same situation, but of course didn't even think of Komodo Island.  It appears they don't really want us to get off anyway, limited shore excursion and lots of walking if you do.  From my research we need to get a SG Arrival card in Singapore as well.  All very vague, surely they can do this from the Ship. Let's hope for calm seas and good weather.  

With Komodo you need a guided tour, trust me You Need A Guided Tour! It is a World Heritage Protected island national park so numbers allowed on the island at any given time are limited due to Park Ranger numbers and its environment, some of the Rangers actually have rifles with them, its very strict. You can book a tour with private tour company, we have for our April Cruise its $100US each.

Singapore Cruise terminal is set up for emigration like an airport, we had no problems getting off a cruise from Australia that terminated in Singapore and its an easy process for those who hold a passport that allows free VOA.

Thanks for the information. Don't think we'll bother with Komodo Island, sounds like too much walking with the excursions offered.  I think P&O need to be clearer on their messaging, causing undue stress.  Happy cruising!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jebo said:

Thanks for the information. Don't think we'll bother with Komodo Island, sounds like too much walking with the excursions offered.  I think P&O need to be clearer on their messaging, causing undue stress.  Happy cruising!

You really don't need to walk too far! Unlike small Non Cruise tours! Its in their best interest to "Heard"  the Dragons down the hill for tourists lol.

First trip we all agreed the Dragons were dragged down the hill earlier in the morning for our shore tour "Monies worth"   True Story: At the drinks station an elderly Gent fell over after the tour and grazed his knee, he was obviously on blood thinners because I helped him with a small first aid kit to stop the bleeding! Within 5 mins we were all standing on the picnic tables terrified as the Rangers franticly beat of the Dragons with big sticks who smelled the blood!  This is a true story, If they smell blood they move more like a Salty croc but if dragged down for our entertainment they become Sloths! lol

Edited by fishtaco

Had a day off work today and finally got to speak to a person who knows what is what!  Its been like "Pulling my own teeth" lol, P&O would like cruisers to get their own VOA/Visa for Indonesia  but will do it onboard if necessary?????? At least in the end I was put through to an Australian P&O Rep other than your average Pilipino learned call centre staff member! We have now been given an address to use in Indonesia to obtain a visa if we want to get one in advance.

My biggest fear has been arriving at embarkation and being told I cannot board because I dont have a Visa!

On 1/19/2024 at 10:12 PM, fishtaco said:

Had a day off work today and finally got to speak to a person who knows what is what!  Its been like "Pulling my own teeth" lol, P&O would like cruisers to get their own VOA/Visa for Indonesia  but will do it onboard if necessary?????? At least in the end I was put through to an Australian P&O Rep other than your average Pilipino learned call centre staff member! We have now been given an address to use in Indonesia to obtain a visa if we want to get one in advance.

My biggest fear has been arriving at embarkation and being told I cannot board because I dont have a Visa!

Thanks for this fishtaco

I have not done anything about a visa after reading on the cruise control for my cruise that they would be arranged on board (some months ago). That advice on the cruise control now seems to have changed to

All guests are advised to visit https://evisa.imigrasi.go.id/ to determine their individual visa requirements for entry into Indonesia, and apply for the relevant visa in advance. For Australian and New Zealand passport holders, the required visa will cost IDR 500,000 (approximately $AU48). Guests should have at least one blank passport page available for the visa.

That advise is a little confusing given the previous advise that it would be done onboard. After your phone call are you under the impression that they will still do it onboard like they used to? Or am I going to hope I can get one 5 days before the cruise?

59 minutes ago, Fluffy Tiger said:

Thanks for this fishtaco

I have not done anything about a visa after reading on the cruise control for my cruise that they would be arranged on board (some months ago). That advice on the cruise control now seems to have changed to

All guests are advised to visit https://evisa.imigrasi.go.id/ to determine their individual visa requirements for entry into Indonesia, and apply for the relevant visa in advance. For Australian and New Zealand passport holders, the required visa will cost IDR 500,000 (approximately $AU48). Guests should have at least one blank passport page available for the visa.

That advise is a little confusing given the previous advise that it would be done onboard. After your phone call are you under the impression that they will still do it onboard like they used to? Or am I going to hope I can get one 5 days before the cruise?

Personally after many O/S Cruises I believe P&O need to get their act together re Visas/ VOA! I went ahead and pre purchase because I cant get a 100% straight answer even though some at P&O have assured me in emails those AU/NZ passport holders can get a visa onboard as was done in the past! Denied Bording because of written "non speak" confusion is everyone's fear! In todays world I believe the confusion is because of possible "non inclusion" of non AU/NZ passport holders may not be quite equitable enough? So vague wording re Visa's is just a P&O protection?

My spin is this:  "For Australian and New Zealand passport holders, the required visa will cost IDR 500,000 (approximately $AU48). Guests should have at least one blank passport page available for the visa."

The above statement should be true of "Most overseas passport holders" as its a standard 'Indonesian VOA/ Visa requirement' not a P&O condition of travel just for AU/NZ passport holders?????

Edited by fishtaco

After spending the morning getting the visas sorted due to the advice on Cruise control and that I didn't want to rick being denied boarding due to no Visa,  I received a email from P and O titled "Anchors Aweigh - Your Last Minute Must Do's" at 11am this morning

And now they say on this email that the will do Visa's on Board and charge the onboard account like they used to do. Here is what the email says

"Please ensure your passport is valid for a minimum of 6 months after the return of the cruise. Any guest whose passport expires before this time will be denied boarding.

Your passport should have at least one blank page available for the visa stamp that will be issued. Australian and New Zealand passport holders will be issued a visa on arrival at a cost of IDR 500,000 to be charged to each guest onboard account (converted to AUD, at the exchange rate applicable on the day). All other passport holders should contact the nearest consulate or a visa service to determine whether they are eligible for the visa on arrival or whether they will need to obtain another visa in advance of the cruise. Guests who check-in without the minimum passport validity and/or visa to enter Indonesia will be denied boarding."

Now I guess in going to have to fight to not get charged onboard for a Visa when I already have purchased them.  I am just a little pissed of with P and O not getting their messages straight.

And it continues

Email late yesterday titled "Correction - Indonesian visa"

Quote Email

"Today you may have received an email from us with last-minute must do’s ahead of your Pacific Adventure cruise departing on Tuesday 30 January. This email included some information about Indonesian visa requirements which was incorrect and not the latest requirement provided by the Indonesian government.

The correct information for Indonesian visa requirements is included below. This is the same information we provided in an email on 12 December 2023.

Indonesia visa requirements

All guests are advised to visit https://evisa.imigrasi.go.id/ to determine their individual visa requirements for entry into Indonesia and apply for the relevant visa in advance. For Australian and New Zealand passport holders, the required visa will cost IDR 500,000 (approximately $AU48). Guests should have at least one blank passport page available for the visa.

All other passport holders are required to check their visa eligibility online or via the Indonesian Embassy and obtain the visa prior to embarkation. Guests who do not hold valid visas may be denied boarding. 

We apologise for any confusion and look forward to welcoming you onboard soon."

End Quote email

Well at least everybody is sure what will happen so that's a good thing and I am glad now I went though the drama of getting the Visa's before today. 5 days out from cruise and still being some confusion is not good though. And they really should look at the wording of that. Maybe leave the whole "Australian and New Zealand" stuff out as it make it seem like there are different rules for us especially seeing many of us have cruised before and know how it was done previously.

Anybody still not sure, my advice is to get the Visa before you cruise no matter where you are from