What is the Galaxy like?????

Riba

We have been on the Century, Millennium (twice), Zenith, and the Summit. We thought we would like to try the Galaxy next year. Do they have rooms with verandas? Any reviews on this ship and the southern itinerary. Thanks for any info........

:) Good afternoon,

Sailed on Century ???? Galaxy is a sister ship, near identical.

If you were happy with Century layout, you'll do fine with Galaxy's.

However, caution: Summit is a class '' higher'' so to speak; don't allow your expectations to blend the two together.

Happy sailings

CG

;)

Galaxy was my first cruise and I found it absolutely wonderful. She is a bit older (1995 I believe) but still in excellent shape. The ceiling in the Orion restaurant is so beautiful! Seating in the grand theater could be improved a bit, but other than that she is simply great. Lovely little movie theater/lecture hall too.

GALAXY is the same ship as CENTURY with a different interior package. Here is a review of a similar itinerary to the one it will take next year. Listed are descriptions and condition of the ship. The only difference is that it will embark/disembark from San Juan: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=286425

Book it ... you will find this ship lovely!

Cheers~

Riba, There are links below to a review from the TA and some pictures. She is actually slightly larger than the Century. I read somewhere that they fixed the issues that they had in Century when they built Galaxy. Even has a small be very nice indoor pool.

The Galaxy was my first Celebrity cruise and I love this ship. I have also been on the Summit and if I have to compare the two, I would choose the Galaxy over the Summit. I found the Galaxy to be a wonderful ship, great interior design. I am booked again on the Galaxy in February 2007. Book your cruise on the Galaxy. You won't be disappointed.

GALAXY is the same ship as CENTURY with a different interior package. Here is a review of a similar itinerary to the one it will take next year. Listed are descriptions and condition of the ship. The only difference is that it will embark/disembark from San Juan: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=286425

Book it ... you will find this ship lovely!

Cheers~

The Galaxy is actually larger than the Century, even though they are both C class ships, and has more cabins with Verandahs. It is, however, the same size as the Mercury. It appears you took "poetic license" with your answer.

Great review, Nicki and very helpful, I'm sure. Brought back memories for me of our trip in 2004.:)

Just to add that I too thought Galaxy was a lovely ship. I'd read all sorts of reports prior to our 2004 trip that she was an old rusty bucket. Rumours of her demise had been greatly exaggerated! She looked just as good as I remembered her in 2003.

Once again, this is not of the same itinerary, but there's a link to that 2004 cruise review in my signature.

Phil

I have also been on the Summit and if I have to compare the two, I would choose the Galaxy over the Summit.

And I've cruised aboard the Constellation and prefer Galaxy by a huge margin. I actually dislike the Millennium ships, they don't offer enough lounges for their size, IMO.

I would say that stating that the Century and Galaxy are near identical is misleading. Galaxy is like Century, but quite different in many respects. It is approx, 7,000 tons larger, has a rear pool, has a secondary foyer, has much larger windows in her observation lounge (which I understand are currently fogged up). Galaxy has a 4 deck foyer vs. Century's 3 deck foyer. For me, Century and Galaxy are 2 different ships due to their vastly different interiors. The only public area that I find similar on both is Galaxy's Savoy lounge and Century's Crystal lounge. They both are a re-creation of a 1930's style nightclub with a fairly similar layout. Otherwise, the whole feel and design and layout of major public areas differ vastly. The Rendezvous (I don't care much for Century's), the restaurant (Galaxy is more modern, Century more classic and I think Celebrity's most elegant and stylish dining room of the fleet), foyers are completely different, observation lounge, the whole mood and feel of the ship is different (Galaxy is somewhat unique in being a fairly light-colored ship). Century seems a modern-liner, Galaxy a different period feel. And this is why I think Celebrity made their best ships when they made the Century ships. They made 3 individual ships, little compromise, and with a much higher fit and finish level from the German yard than the Millennium ships that come from the French yard.

Summit has all of the "stuff" that most modern cruisers want, especially balcony cabins. But put its public areas next to its sisters and they are interchangeable (different colors and patterns but carbon copies of each other). That is not true of the Century class ships. Try Galaxy and Mercury. Mercury is very cool as well, and though similar to Galaxy in layout and in a few public areas (stairwells and elevators), major public areas also are quite different than both Galaxy or Century.

For me, Century class feel like most "authentic" Celebrity experiences while Millennium ships feel compromised and like a hybrid with RCI's layout and feel. The Century trio are the class of Celebrity and I hope Celebrity keeps them maintained properly and in service for many years to come without altering them too much.

We returned from a 12 day panama canal cruise. We loved the Galaxy. Sure some of the "orange" chairs were a little dated, but they have an outstanding staff, great food, good entertainment. Just relax and enjoy. I can not wait to sail w/her again.

Archived