Why are there so many POC posts on the board?

MamaParrotHead

And dont forget the inane topless threads.

There is no such thing. :p

The other advantage to using POC is that your expertise pool is expanded exponentially.

There me be a cracker jack expert on St Maarten let's say, but only cruises RCI. He won't be coming here to answer your questions, but there is a good chance he will vist the POC board.

You mean kinda like this?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=315779

I honestly don't mean to sound mean, but you also have doen the same thing. I've seen a few of your posts moved as well to the correct locations. I'm sure I've done the same thing too. Sure, it would be ideal (for hosts especially) if everyone knew exactly where to post, but it really doesn't bug me or even bother me at all. I don't think everyone is lazy or impatient when this happens. I think sometimes certain questions just "fit" in more than one place, so people just aren't sure where to post it.

Again, not trying to be snotty or rude, but it kinda irked me to see you bugged about people posting about "Shopping in Costa Maya and Belize" and then post yourself about shopping in Western Ports. :) I hope you have fun on your upcoming cruise!

I was posting because I wanted to know the location of the general shopping areas (in relation to where Carnival tenders into) of the entire Western Caribean route that the Triumph takes. I wasn't asking about Senor Frogs in Nassau or where to get a deal on silver jewelry in Costa Maya...or something specific to a general POC board. I don't see a "Western Caribbean" POC board, do you?

...and the SEARCH function - I swear, people are so lazy, if they would just read they guidelines before they started posting everywhere like dogs marking their territory... at least 95% of all new questions are already contained within the boards.

ahhhhhhhhhh- now I need a cocktail.

True Mr. Dood, but let me tell you what my experience with the search function was. I just recently joined this board...actually I think I've read it off and on over the years but had never posted. Anyway, I began trying to look for info on my upcoming cruise and I kept reading members' posts about trying to search the boards. Well I looked and looked all over the page and NOWHERE was there a function to search. Well I almost posted a topic about it, but I didn't want to look like an idiot. I mean it sounded like everyone else was able to find this elusive search function, but I couldn't. What was I missing? I kept looking and looking. Finally, I noticed somewhere (I think an error page for posting or something) that it said if you were an AOL member which I am you should go to Internet Explorer and post on the board or something like that and then you would have all the functionalities. Sure enough I went to IE, I think I posted and topic, logged out, and returned to Cruise Critic through AOL and everything worked. Suddenly I had the Search function. Weird, but I was glad to find it. To make a very long story even longer, LOL, maybe a small group of people are experiencing my same problem and are too embarassed to speak up.

JMO,

Cindy

I was posting because I wanted to know the location of the general shopping areas (in relation to where Carnival tenders into) of the entire Western Caribean route that the Triumph takes. I wasn't asking about Senor Frogs in Nassau or where to get a deal on silver jewelry in Costa Maya...or something specific to a general POC board. I don't see a "Western Caribbean" POC board, do you?

No, but that's why we have all the POCs (or at least most) on separate boards so there can be specific info for each port.

And as far as Host Terry's comment on what I do.....Well, I "work to CRUISE!":p .....I think I need a tshirt that says that.:D

Don't go getting all starfished. :D

But kstmommy is right. It would have been just as easy to post your question to the POC boards for the stops your cruise is making.

Not that it was wrong or right for posting it here.

edit: Or what Randy said.

I think it all comes down to human nature. People are going to post questions and comments where they feel there is the most interaction.

It's like going to a party or a business function, people that want to mingle and talk aren't going to stand in the corner and wait for the crowd to come over to them.

Well, not unless they're buying. :D

...and people should not be so thin skinned...;)

I agree with you on this point

and George - I AGREE! It would be fun to have more meaningful posts and discussions - lots of different angles to discuss, but I just can't take many more of the "what should I wear" and "how to smuggle buckhorn beer"

Remember, that the folks who post these questions have probably just booked their very first cruise and are so excited to jump right into being a "cruise person" that their excitment takes control. Reading directions on how to use the site correctly seems silly, after all we all "learn as we go" with some things. I say this because that is what I did. Don't crush our delusions of granduer just tell us when we screw up and point us in the right direction. On the same note, people should not get so upset when someone points out they have posted incorrectly.

and George - I AGREE! It would be fun to have more meaningful posts and discussions - lots of different angles to discuss, but I just can't take many more of the "what should I wear" and "how to smuggle buckhorn beer"

Remember, that the folks who post these questions have probably just booked their very first cruise and are so excited to jump right into being a "cruise person" that their excitment takes control. Reading directions on how to use the site correctly seems silly, after all we all "learn as we go" with some things. I say this because that is what I did. Don't crush our delusions of granduer just tell us when we screw up and point us in the right direction. On the same note, people should not get so upset when someone points out they have posted incorrectly.

You are very wise, Grasshopper. :D Love you, Kat.

Hey you!!! Wise, ye, wise Arz that is!!!!! So good to see you around here. Are you sure that you ans Stang can't come with us??!!

We haven't canceled the stateroom yet. We're exploring some dates on the Ecstasy and trying to figure out how to juggle a 12-day trip to Mexico to see my dad, in June, plus the cruise in October with y'all.

Hanging on by a thread.

She's suckin' up :p

Did we lose the little triangle too?

LOL Doll, did they take away your triangle???? :p Hey, at least you are back on... you can always let one of us know when you are feeling froggy ;) :D

Unless I'm directly involved, I always hear about the big drama after the fact.:D Anyway, *I* am glad to see you, Liv.

There was no drama... he wasn't in time out from this site, it was technical problems.

Really? Here is your original post below.

"We're headed W. Caribbean, and looking at excursions. While we really enjoy active and different excursions, we like to atleast poke around in the local shops for an hour or two before heading back to the ship. Can anyone tell me if Coz, GC and Ocho Rios have decent shopping (not looking for any major purchases, just some unique items to the area and hoping every shop isn't a tshirt shop) near the pier/tendering area (or within quick walking distance)? Thanks. smile.gif"

Funny, but I see nothing there specific to "Carnival" or "Triumph", but a general question about shops near where cruise ships dock/tender. Not so much unlike some of the posts that you say you are so bugged about! In fact, some of the posts you say you are bugged about are very specific to POC when cruising on "Carnival" - - unlike your post.

Bottom line MamaP - back down on the posters who post POC questions on the Carnival board and admit with some humility that you were wrong. By your logic, you should have posted your shopping question on the Coz, GC and Ocho Rios POC boards, respectively. So give everyone else a break.

My favorite adage is ``learn by doing.'' I agree we need to remember that we have new memers joining all of the time and aren't as experienced on these boards as others.

Patience, my friends. I frankliy have no problem with posters asking a question on a board where the question would be best asked on another board. Our friendly posters remind the poster that the question would be best asked in another area and that poster learned something through the experience. And I have gained some valuable info from those posts in the wrong area that I would not have read if they had been made in the ``appropriate'' area as some people like to term those areas.:D

Dianne

My favorite adage is ``learn by doing.'' I agree we need to remember that we have new memers joining all of the time and aren't as experienced on these boards as others.

Patience, my friends. I frankliy have no problem with posters asking a question on a board where the question would be best asked on another board. Our friendly posters remind the poster that the question would be best asked in another area and that poster learned something through the experience. And I have gained some valuable info from those posts in the wrong area that I would not have read if they had been made in the ``appropriate'' area as some people like to term those areas.:D

Dianne

Well said, Dianne.

Archived