Bringing alcohol on board - please submit cheap drink recipes

After cruising for many years, I have found that packing wine boxes works great from bringing alcohol on board. I put it in my bags that the porters pick up at the port. The bags are always locked. Have never had any problems. I have also found that wrapping a towel around liquor bought in port and carrying this in my beach bag has worked EVERY time. I have been doing this for 10 years without incident. (I'm talking about no more than 1 or 2 bottles wrapped up.)

Does anyone have any cheap drink recipes for smuggled booze? I've seen some people mention mixing Crystal light with vodka. Does anyone know of other mixers that don't need to be refrigerated?

I have also found that wrapping a towel around liquor bought in port and carrying this in my beach bag has worked EVERY time. I have been doing this for 10 years without incident. (I'm talking about no more than 1 or 2 bottles wrapped up.)

Really? What cruise line was this? On RCCL, they made us put our bags through an x-ray machine when we came back on. Wouldn't the bottle show up on x-ray?

Really? What cruise line was this? On RCCL, they made us put our bags through an x-ray machine when we came back on. Wouldn't the bottle show up on x-ray?

I have been able to bring liquor wrapped in a beach towel back on board using my beach bag. The whole thing goes through the xray machine. Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have paid no attention. I have never had a problem.

As a bartender .. I would say Captain n coke, mimosas..champagne and oj ,the fruit punch is really good with captain morgan..vodka,cranberry and oj, or a sea breeze malibu,pineapple,cranberry you can find small cans of pineapple juice ,oj, cranberry at the grocery store..my personal fave is three olives cherry vodka with a splash of lime juice voila..cherry martini

We got 2 bottles of rum in St. Thomas and brought them back on the ship. They were loose in a yellow plastic bag that the store put them in when we gor them. They went through x-ray with no problem and we took them to our room. We sailed on the Explorer which is RCCL. Next cruise I'm going to try and bring on a bottle or two to mix our own. We're not big drinkers but enjoyed a few while on the ship.

Jennie

• 4 weeks later...
As a bartender

Arayasunshine, as a bartender may you could help. Could you provide me with the recipe for frozen rum runners? I've got the 'add ice & blend' it's the rest I don't have:) . I've gotten recipes that are the traditional way to make them but I see the cruise lines use lt/dk rum, straw daq mix and other thing(s). I would appreciate any help.

Basic Martini.........5 parts Vodka or Gin w/ 1 part vermouth. You probably can get olives on board, or buy a bottle of green olives an add just a teeny bit of olive juice for a great dirty martini. Make sure you mix with ice before you pour it into a glass. yummmmmmm

• 2 weeks later...

On my last cruise on the Norwegian Jewel in April 2006, I brought Cruzan coconut rum and brought a large insulated mug. I added the rum, made a stop at the Garden Cafe for ice and then ordered a pineapple juice at the bar. I poured the juice in the cup and voila! Pina colada for $1.73 including tip.

FYI - Cruise lines are really concerned about people bringing liquor aboard, BUT do not care if you bring wine. They charge a corkage fee at dinner. You are free to bring all the wine you want. The ships just want to make sure that their liquor sales are not impacted.

I have been able to bring liquor wrapped in a beach towel back on board using my beach bag. The whole thing goes through the xray machine. Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have paid no attention. I have never had a problem.

I have had booze in my beach bag that i bought in port on several cruises and they always see it going through the xray machine and tell me to check it.

I usually pre-mix my margueritas and store them in the marguerita mix bottles. Just be careful about resealing the bottles (turn the cap tight and I use duct tape for an extra seal). Not only are your drinks conveniently pre-mixed, but they aren't in alcohol bottles so no worries. :cool:

I usually just fill up a water bottle with Crown and then mix it in the room with water.

Our last cruise we got the free lemonade and mixe it with Vodka it was pretty good and it was even crappy vodka. We just each took a water bottle filled it up pretty genorously with vodjka; then filled it up the rest of the way with lemonade on our way out to the lido deck.

In case I get flamed; I spent at least $300 on drinks on our last cruise; so I think me mixing a couple of my own drinks is plenty fair.

Malibu Rum and Fruit Punch - which you get 24/7 for free in the dining room. The fruit punch that is! Goes down WAY to easy. I drank my liter I smuggled in 2 days this way (with the help of our next door shipmates!)

The free lemonade with a Stoli vodka is good too, like strawberry.

• 2 weeks later...
After cruising for many years, I have found that packing wine boxes works great from bringing alcohol on board. I put it in my bags that the porters pick up at the port. The bags are always locked. Have never had any problems. I have also found that wrapping a towel around liquor bought in port and carrying this in my beach bag has worked EVERY time. I have been doing this for 10 years without incident. (I'm talking about no more than 1 or 2 bottles wrapped up.)

Does anyone have any cheap drink recipes for smuggled booze? I've seen some people mention mixing Crystal light with vodka. Does anyone know of other mixers that don't need to be refrigerated?

You're correct, I buy the plastic liquor bottles of vodka from home, crystal light singles (lemonade or cranberry or fruit punch) and bottled water.

it has probably been mentioned already but i take a few bottles of cheaper champaing in my carry-on and get the free orange juice from room service. mix in a thermal cup or glass to taste and you have a refreshing drink that is great to sip on setting on the balcony or by the pool. ;)

• 10 months later...
FYI - Cruise lines are really concerned about people bringing liquor aboard, BUT do not care if you bring wine. They charge a corkage fee at dinner. You are free to bring all the wine you want. The ships just want to make sure that their liquor sales are not impacted.

NCL will find it and charge you the corkage fee at the port. This is even if you just plan to consume it in your cabin. Voice of experience speaking here...

That said, I have carried on both gin and wine on other cruiselines without problems.

We buy the soda card and use it to get tonic and soda for our mixers.

Also, have enjoyed making a Madras with OJ from breakfast and vodka and cranberry juice brought on in carryon.

Archived