Amadagio/Blue Danube Discovery

Jswen

Jswen,

I just received a brochure from Amadeus and looked at the information for the Amadagio. It looks absolutely fabulous! You will have a grand time and William will enjoy the connection! He did say that many of the crew are from Hungary, so there will be those who can provide advice on your travels.

Have a fantastic trip! I will check back to hear all about it. You can also email me at sf1776@comcast.net if you prefer.

Sandie

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there! ---I had this posted before, but here again for those who missed it !

We just came back from the Tulip Time Cruise aboard the brand new MS Amadagio. This was our second European river cruise and the Amadagio exceeded our highest expectations. Amadeus Waterways claims that the Amadagio is the most luxurious ship on the European waterways today and this is true. The décor is modern yet comfy. The lobby is really impressive with its high ceiling set off by an incredible modern painting by one of Holland’s most famous artists. The cabins are well appointed and all are equipped with plasma TV and hair dryer in the bathroom. Some veteran cruisers told us that the Amadagio cabins are comparable in size to cabins found on ocean cruise ships.

The hips don’t lie - one outstanding feature was the variety of meals served for lunch and dinners with outstanding desserts. The crew was very helpful, friendly and professional – everything went so smoothly that it felt like they had worked together for years (actually this was only their 4th cruise together aboard this ship.) The crew was like a great “cocktail” of international hospitality, with most of them coming from Hungary, the captain is German, the first officer, I think is Dutch and the Maitre’d is British (an absolute gem of a person – love that accent!).

Local performers entertained us nightly for some real “down home” entertainment. And if you wanted to burn those calories off, the Amadagio carried its own fleet of bicycles for those who wanted to explore the ports on their own. We met some great people who told us that river cruises are so much more fun because you get to know the other people better, whereas nowadays ocean cruise ships are more like floating cities with meal times like feeding time at the zoo. In fact we enjoyed our cruise so much that we are planning to go on another one in fall and of course it is going to be aboard the Amadagio. Thank you Amadagio, and thank you UET.com for advising us to book this cruise!

Waverly

I ditto Waverly. I was also on Tulip Time cruise on the Amadagio, and I had a fabulous time. The food, the staff, the tours, the entertainment, the pace and planning....I don't a single complaint. The rooms are lovely...I was in the bottom deck (the cheap seats), but it didn't deter from my comfort at all. The cabins have spacious cupboard and closet space so that two people can share with plenty of room between them. The bathroom was very comfortable....great shower. My only complaint at all is that the bed was way too hard for my tender pressure points. I never got a good night's sleep. I suggested that they acquire some 2" foam pads to keep on hand for passengers like me. I was not alone in this....at least a dozen other people all felt the same about the mattress. All of us were women....is this a gender thing? Anyway, enjoy your cruise...this was my first river cruise, but definitely not my last. The Amadagio became home very quickly.

hi Waverly and Sharon,

It was so exciting to read your trip report on the Amadagio. We have 3 days before we leave for Budapest and a few more till we board our Riverboat. It is hard to believe that a few months ago I was so new to this board and asking for a report on the Amadagio.....little did I know it would become a daily habit to check the board and see what the discussions of the day were.

Thanks so much for your positive report, it should be a fun trip.

Judy

I'm on the Budapest to Prague cruise June 29, 2006. I am very interested in arrival and departure times for Regenburg and the departure time from Passau. It will help me plan my time. Thanks. Marlyne

Archived