Iona - large group.

welshy74

Hello

has anyone experience managing a group of people, particularly dining arrangements?  We are a party of 21 people so far, sailing on Iona in July for my 50th birthday.  I’ve sailed Iona previously but that was solo so this is VERY different.  Has anyone done this? Any advice for dining together, show reservations etc.  do bars allow to block off space so all the group can sit together (only required on night of my birthday )

Dining:

For this to work effectively in the MDRs you're all going to have to agree on a time to eat together, and it may work better if you eat earlier; if it is offered for your cruise, it may be advisable for four members of your party to pre-book tables for the early times. Your can only pre-book tables up to a party size of six, that is why it would need four to do that. Also, I would think it would be easier to achieve in the two larger MDRs, Pearl and Coral. Once onboard, speak with a Head Waiter or Restaurant Manager and explain the situation, so they can then try and put you all together. Obviously, you won't be on a table for 21, but in Pearl or Coral it is more likely that they may be able to accommodate you on large tables that are close to each other, perhaps two six-seaters and an eight-seater set for nine.

With speciality dining I would expect it would be far for difficult to achieve your goal because the restaurants are smaller. However, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Shows:

I would hazard a guess that you wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of getting seats reserved in Headliners or any of the other venues. It would be a case of making sure you all rock up really early and grab your seats. Bear in mind that when you pre-book for Headliners on the My Holiday app/non-app, you can only do so for those guests in your cabin; therefore, multiple bookings will be required.

Bars:

As with entertainment venues, I would say it would be very unlikely that you would be able to achieve your goal; again, a case of everyone rocking up early.  If it is just for one night only, I would suggest you make an appointment as soon as you board with the Bar Manager.  I don't know if you are aware but there is an area in the Glass House that (I think) is used for wine tastings and so on; see below...

Screenshot_2024-01-22-01-26-30-6593.thumb.jpeg.981a119d611d5ae61fa8a26e8a08aac1.jpeg

I would say it could accommodate a group of your size, and the Bar Manager may allow you to use it for one night.

Good luck with your planning 🙂

• Thanks 1

It possibly may not do any harm to email P&O well in advance (not sure if they have a specific team for this kind of thing) - the worst that can happen is that your email is ignored.

Just had a quick look and it might be worth trying (as a starting point) Customer Contact Centre on 03453 555 111 - these are the ones that deal with special gifts.

Edited by david63
  • Like 1

I could be wrong, but I am sure the wedding venue can also be used for other get together. It may be worth looking what they offer for your actual bday as they will be used to organising for large groups and I think it includes meals.

• Like 1