Help with flab urgently needed

Hi Mary,

In search of that flatter middle, I started taking belly dancing lessons. I think it's a really fun way of working your stomach. It has definitely made a difference for me. Also, Pilates and ab work using an exercise ball are great. I'm going on the Empress of the Seas in April and I got a trumpet-style gown. It looks gorgeous because it hugs in all the right places and does a good job of hiding the stuff I don't like.

Michelle

And don't forget, the artist Boticelli (sorry, unsure of spelling) painted women with "generous" figures :rolleyes:

Jane

Don't forget the Flemish painter Rubens either. His paintings of well endowed curvy women were so famous that the name "Rubenesque" has been given to women who resemble the well-nourished subjects of his paintings. I certainly prefer the adjective "Rubenesque" to obese or chubby.:D

After 2 kids and 5 surgeries, I HATE my stomach. I'm relavtively thin everywhere else. I talked with my dr about this and she said I could exercise from now till dooms day and it wouldn't go away. She said the only answer is a tummy tuck which I would do in a heartbeat if I won the lottery.;) We love our kids, but they sure did cruel things to our bodies.

I agree with everyone that abdominal exercises may not provide the result that you desire. That being said, sometimes if you add a little more work to your obliques (the love handle area) you will get the appearance of abdominal firming. The obliques can be a contributor to a "flabby" stomach appearance.

The book 6-weeks to a Hollywood Body has some good abdominal exercises for women (reverse crunches utilizing a stability ball) that are not hard on your back and an exercise called "Penguins" which is great for the obliques.

Good luck and I am sure that you will look great at 50 - no matter what you decide. Enjoy your cruise!

Don't forget the Flemish painter Rubens either. His paintings of well endowed curvy women were so famous that the name "Rubenesque" has been given to women who resemble the well-nourished subjects of his paintings. I certainly prefer the adjective "Rubenesque" to obese or chubby.:D

I have decided to go with this thought for the moment as "all of a sudden" I seem to have stuff hanging around in places that wasn't there 2 weeks ago:eek: , or is this total denial!:p .

But now I am out of time and Rubenesque it will be!

Hi everyone,

I have been an aerobics instructor for 21 years. I've taught everything including Yoga and Pilates. So you must be thinking I have the perfect body, right? NOPE!!! My problem is all the yummy food that goes in my mouth. I spent so many years obsessing over problem areas on my body. And then . . . Stacy and Clinton came into my life. They are the hosts of "What Not To Wear" on TLC. I am so addicted to this show. I have really learned alot about what is best for my body type, and I am so proud of how my wardrobe has changed. And no, I'm not spending a ton of money like they do on that show. Anyway, I noticed that the OP is from England, and I know they have the same show over there. I seriously recommend it. There are also some books that address the same issues. There's one by Sam Sabourra (sp?) that is really good.

Good luck.

Laura

I agree, I love Stacey and Clinton. Now if they could just come up with a show that could teach us how to step out of the shower and like what we see in the mirror:eek: it would hit the top of the charts;)

Can any ladies out there help with my problem, which I realise is a bit off topic fashion-wise. I am the correct weight for my height, with skinny everything except my stomach; this is a nightmare 36" and looks awful (not helped by 3 babies in the dim and distant past, weighing between 10lbs and 11lbs 9ozs). Have coped in the past with cunningingly chosen separates, but now need formal dresses (v. formal cruise), and they look appalling. Can't lose weight as it falls off the wrong places, and don't need my face caving in any more (in my early 50s). What is the best exercise to at least firm it up a bit?

To any chaps reading this (would prefer you don't), I promise not to wear bikinis if you forego your Speedos.

Thanks, Mary

Hey Mary!

I am 43...2 c-sections (one 10lb!), a tubal and a hysterectomy...I "feel" your pain!

I am currently trying a procedure ...Endermologie.

"Endermologie, the ultimate in skin conditioning and body sculpting, renews the tone and shape of your skin using a massage technique that assists in reducing cellulite. Endermologie is the only FDA approved treatment of cellulite."

This requires 5-8 treatments, I've only had one. But, it has firmed my skin.

It may be something you are interested in. My local dermatology/plastic surgery center is doing this but, I think I saw it at the spa I use too.

GOOD LUCK!

Hey Mary!

I am 43...2 c-sections (one 10lb!), a tubal and a hysterectomy...I "feel" your pain!

I am currently trying a procedure ...Endermologie.

"Endermologie, the ultimate in skin conditioning and body sculpting, renews the tone and shape of your skin using a massage technique that assists in reducing cellulite. Endermologie is the only FDA approved treatment of cellulite."

This requires 5-8 treatments, I've only had one. But, it has firmed my skin.

It may be something you are interested in. My local dermatology/plastic surgery center is doing this but, I think I saw it at the spa I use too.

GOOD LUCK!

I would be interested to learn more about endermologie. I have seriously considered a tummy tuck but because I have a medical device implanted in my abdoman I am 99.9% sure that I would never be able to find a plastic surgeon willing to do it. I, like you, truly feel Mary's pain because it's like everything I put on doesn't look like I want it to because of my ugly stomach.

Archived