Side to Side-Port Canaveral

jgallow

We are booked on Freedom 5 day  for New Year's departing Port Canaveral on 12/30/24 and are thinking of adding the Glory 3 day sailing 12/27-12/30 to extend our vacation. Has anyone done a side to side at Port Canaveral like this? What was your experience like?

11 hours ago, jgallow said:

We are booked on Freedom 5 day  for New Year's departing Port Canaveral on 12/30/24 and are thinking of adding the Glory 3 day sailing 12/27-12/30 to extend our vacation. Has anyone done a side to side at Port Canaveral like this? What was your experience like?

Have done side-to-sides at Miami cruise port, works great, Port Canaveral should be fine, ships all line up, easy walk from one to another. 

A few things to consider.  It's a large port. When you know which termimals your ships will be at, you can google map the walk.   

If you are able to walk between the ships, be prepared to walk carrying all of your luggage. We did this in Miami between cruise brands and some areas did not have sidewalks.  Turned out ok but was cumbersome with all of our luggage.  Also, if you like to carry on wine, water or soft drinks you will need to make arrangements to get those items prior to boarding ship #2.

You could Uber from ship #1 to a local store to pick up wine/water/soft drinks.  Hang out until your check in time to ship #2.  Then Uber to ship #2,  Looking at Google Maps there are some liquor stores and a Publix not far away. 

When onboard ship #1 I would ask Guest Services for a recommendation on how to get to ship #2. Many years ago in a different port there was a shuttle for crew members changing ships that allowed a few passengers. The shuttle also took crew members out of the port to the local stores they like to shop to stock up. It never hurts to ask. 

Side to sides are a lot of fun.  It's like starting all over with a new crew and new guests. .  

• Like 1

Ships do not line up in Pt. Canaveral. There are two different spots ships dock at and when two Carnival ships are in port together, they are usually, not always, but usually docked in different areas. 

There is no way to walk between them. Royal provided me a shuttle when I did a S2S but I have no experience doing the same in Carnival.

I would not let that deter you from doing it as S2S can be a lot of fun. Just plan on having to taxi or Uber over if Carnival doesn't provide transportation. 

• Thanks 1

My aunt did this exact thing at Port Canaveral with Freedom and Liberty. It worked out perfectly for her. She waited to be one of the last off the first cruise and by that time it was time to head to the other terminal. In Port Canaveral these two ships do dock in 2 different places not accessible by walking. This isn’t a problem at all if you are bringing your own vehicle though. 

Since Glory is taking over for Liberty, it's highly likely it will dock at terminal 3. You'll need to either drive or take a taxi or Uber from there to terminal 6 where Freedom docks. We live in the area and usually Uber to port but find it easier to taxi home if our regular driver isn't available to pick us up. 

Edited by Knights on the Beach