Shore snorkeling in Cozumel and Costa Maya?

Gkaos

As a newbie to the board (and to cruises), I was wondering if anyone could recommend places to go shore snorkeling in Cozumel and Costa Maya. I will be traveling with my brother and his kids (10 and 12 years old) who have never snorkeled before, and I am afraid the boat excursions would be too much for them. I was thinking we could take a taxi from port to a snorkel spot, and the kids could get a "taste" of snorkeling. They would probably be happy just seeing some pretty fish and playing on the beach. Also, do the snorkeling beaches have rip currents/tides or other hazards that I need to be aware of? Thanks for any advice.

When you get off the ship in Cozumel get a taxi and tell them to take you to Dzul Ha. It will cost about $5.00 each way. Take your own snorkel gear as the shops and operators on this part of the island have been washed away ( thanks to hurricane WILMA ). The snorkeling is free - and some of the best on the island - and it is amazing the number of fish a small box of cereal from the ship will attract. Enough to make you walk on water I promise. There are very few amenities in this area so bring a bottle of water.

Or get a cab to Anywhere north of the pier towards town that you can see a good entry and exit spot and you will have to compete with the boat loads of paying people to see the same fish and coral.

Also if the current isn't to bad you can walk north of the new international cruise ship pier area to the old cruise ship area ( about a 1/4 of a mile ) and snorkel the old airplane. Just ask for Dive with Martin and people will help direct you. The plane is a popular shore dive spot. The pay boats

Right across the street is a truck ( it's been at the same location for 14 years ) that sells 2 tacos and a cold coke for $3.00. Very safe, alot of the cruise ship crews will be eating there, that should tell you something. When we fly in our kids eat at the truck often and love it.

The key will be to have your own gear - mask fins and snorkel and perhaps a life jacket or snorkel jacket for the kids will help. The current can change at any time all along the coast of this island.

Good luck and have fun, earl.

Also the snorkeling and diving is a thousand times better on Cozumel, there just isn't much to see under the water in Costa Maya, but be sure to take the $2.00 shuttle to Mahahual, a small fishing village just south of the tourist trap the ships have set up at the dock. Either take a shore excursion from the ship or figure to just enjoy the day at the beach. The beaches are alot better at this port than at Cozumel, unless you go to the east side of Cozumel or the south end of the island. again have a good trip

Wow, great suggestions! I will check with my brother and the kids to see which they prefer, but I like the taxi to Dzul Ha in Cozumel, since it allows the kids flexibility to play and snorkel until they tire, after which we can return to port area. I can imagine the fish coming to feed on the cereal, and the kids really getting excited about that. I'll get the snorkeling gear beforehand like diverearl recommended - hopefully, the kids will get hooked on snorkeling (and then want to learn to scuba for future trips!). What great suggestions - Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Chaknaab State Park a couple of times and love it very much. I don't know how much damage they sustained from Hurricane Wilma, but you can snorkle from the beach and they had bars a restaraunts there to get refreshments as well as nice bathrooms and shower facilities and lockers too. The cost last May was $12 USA to get in for the whole day and they also had dolphin swim programs and Sea Lion Swim programs. Try going to

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Beaches for more information. I agree with the cereal idea..last year hubby took some chips in his pocket and the fish went WILD!! We saw parrot fish and even a small octopus and star fish....really neat and the current was not bad, but I would suggest some sort of flotation for the kids. Have fun!

We very much enjoyed our day at the beach in Majahaul, just a five minute cab ride from Costa Maya. The beach is very nice. We set up a family spot under a palm tree for the day, ate from local vendors and snorkled when ever we wanted. We didn't see a lot of fish (I did see one small stingray), but the water was clear and it was a great way to get wet and just practice snorkeling. I think this is a great way to spend the day with kids IMHO.:)

We have been to Chaknaab State Park a couple of times and love it very much. I don't know how much damage they sustained from Hurricane Wilma, but you can snorkle from the beach and they had bars a restaraunts there to get refreshments as well as nice bathrooms and shower facilities and lockers too. The cost last May was $12 USA to get in for the whole day and they also had dolphin swim programs and Sea Lion Swim programs. Try going to

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Beaches for more information. I agree with the cereal idea..last year hubby took some chips in his pocket and the fish went WILD!! We saw parrot fish and even a small octopus and star fish....really neat and the current was not bad, but I would suggest some sort of flotation for the kids. Have fun!

We were there last week and the park is still closed, according to our driver they may open this month for snorkeling only! What a shame, we used to spend an entire day there it was fantastic. They estimate at least 3 years before the botanical gardens return :mad: . I agree that Cereal is great just don't stuff it down your suit :eek: otherwise when the package breaks down and the cereal starts to leak the water around you will turn into a feeding frenzy! :D

Archived