Gift from your TA?

psychboss

I am TA and also a cruiser. Before becoming a TA we did receive gifts from our TA (a bottle of wine or flowers). But on occasion we found that gifts were not received as paid for by TA. Not only that but, hubby & I went on a Med cruise that I had booked, Celeb did not come through with birthday cake I had ordered (and PAID for!!) for hubby. Even got a card in our stateroom on boarding acknowledging the "gift" hubby wasn't supposed to know about until a few days later. When I got home I phoned customer service and they quickly refunded my credit card. At least Celeb's customer service works!!! On another cruise line, we spent nearly 6 months trying to resolve a BAD situation and finally I just resolved not to do business with that particular line. The onboard experience maybe O.K. but if the land people will not back up the promises made onboard, the company has a PR mess!! Several years later I still only sell this line IF the customer insists which happens usually when price is a big concern. The old saying "you get what you pay for" is certainly true in cruising.

As an aside regarding online and land based TA's, most of my clients do much research before they come to see me. IMHO and experience, most TA's can match 95% of the online pricing and you get face to face meeting where any of the those "dumb" questions that are rolling around in your head will be answered.

But back to the question at hand, which gift is best?? Depends on the client!

My preference would be the specialty restaurant gift certificate.

We love to find a nice bottle of chilled champagne (and a bouquet of flowers if we have booked a suite) to toast "Bon Voyage".

Nevertheless, great service is still number one, and for us, great service includes a willingness to send documents (express) to our P.O. Box!

Archived