Fire on the Star Princess

pattison

I don't mean to come across rude here, but how do you know the cabin's burned? How do you know the extent to what the cabins burned? How do you know how many cabins fully burned?

All the pictures have told us so far is that the balcony cabins lost their balcony and it appears to have heavy smoke/and some fire damage to the inside of the cabins, but no extent has been released yet as to which the cabins were damaged..

I have read witness reports that obviously the hallways had smoke damage, but no one has reported that the hallway had fire damage, or fire damage accross the hallway. That is why i came up with the scenario that I did about the fire spreading through the balconies, and NOT through the cabins. That is why, at this time I am thinking the sprinkler's work, and confined the fires to the cabins, and the only other means of travel was the balconies, which is made obvious by the pictures.

Again, I have been to several fires, and seen the damage they have caused. You do have a point, the fire could have started inside a room - however, it spread to the balcony, and I think that is how it spread to other rooms, is through the balconies..

Not to come across as rude here but our local TV station (WSBTV) has been broadcasting pictures from inside the cabins on all their newscats today. The interior shots they show are just as bad as the ones from the exterior. It doesnt take a genious to figure out that a fire hot enough to melt a balcony would do damage to the interior of the room as well. What has happened to common sense here folks?

For those of you who think a single cigarette could not do this, you are sadly wrong. Have you not been hearing about all the wild fires we are having here in the middle of the US? There was a wild fire not far from where we live that was started by someone throwing their cigarette out of their window. It is burning large massive areas, not just small areas. The one that burn by us was over 10,000 ackers. That isn't a small room or balcony. So YES they can start a fire and it can become a HUGE one. Please don't jump on me, I am in NO WAY saying this did start by a cigarette, just simply showing you it can & HAS. Right here in KS even.

Um…a wildfire can certainly be started by a cigarette since it usually involves the burning of dry organic materials like grass, twigs and other flammable objects that ignite with little heat (even a magnifying glass can cause a wildfire). A cruise ship is built specifically with fire retardant materials not found in nature.

I dont understand how people think this ship will be out of service for a few days. Yes maybe not actual fire damage but SMOKE AND WATER DAMAGE! That ship must SMELL VERY bad right now. We had a major house fire and the fire damage is bad but the smoke damage sucks because it gets everywhere.

I personally don't care what started this fire. Nor does it matter whether or not the cabins or balconies burnt crispier. I question what caused the fire to spread so rapidly? Was it inadequate fire fighting equipment? Too many flammable materials used in the ship's construction? Did the spinkler system work properly? The passenger rail system here doesn't even allow smoking......yet most materials used in passenger car construction are non-flammable.

A few years back on a Royal Caribbean ship in Alaska they had some hot food on buffet tables outside on deck. I was casually looking at the food when flames started to shoot out from under the table! I immediately looked around for a fire extinguisher.....but did not see any! I opened a door "For Crew" only and a worker immediately saw the flames. A few more seconds of delay because his co-worker or supervisor did not understand him (language barrier). At that point we both saw a fire-extinguisher and he got to it first and put out the fire. It was amazing how quickly this fire could have gotten out of control. I don't think there was even a handful of people within view because the buffet was still in the process of being set up. Apparently a sterno-type liquid used to keep the food warm caught fire under the table. The fire was contained to the table, tablecloth and all items on the table. I was amazed how fast that side of the buffet was shut down and cleaned up. I was lucky I didn't have my back turned or I might have caught fire! I was still around when ship's officers came down. There was alot of yelling going on in a foreign language.......but I understood the cuss words! I'm glad the officer's took it seriously.

Point is.....smoking doesn't cause all fires. I think if cruise lines banned smoking you'd see alot more folks doing land-based vacations. Most places allow you to smoke your asses off! Probably see more folks going to all-inclusive resorts too because many cruisers (like myself) are getting fed up with the nickel and diming on cruise ships.

Cruise lines don't want to "appear" to condone smoking which is why the ashtrays always seem to be hidden away. Fact is....people still smoke! If and when smoking is ever banned then they can hide the ashtrays. I don't think a small glass ashtray left on a shelf is going to bother anybody. If some fanatics are bother by this.....shove it in a drawer somewhere.

P.S. I quit somking cigarettes 10 years ago after starting when it was considered fashionable to smoke. Yes......years ago a person could smoke anywhere and I never recall hearing any complaints. Years ago when I worked in Manhatten free cigarettes were passed out on street corners by companies wanting you to try their brand. In fact it's only been about 10 years since most cruise lines banned smoking in the dining rooms and theaters. Anyway....to each his/her own. I would never call a smoker a second-class citizen. I see people doing stupid things every day......especially drivers.....are they all second class citizen too? Please.

On the princess site it says monday they will anounce how long the ship will be out commission.

Actually their announcement (understandably) hedges this commitment somewhat, and says that they HOPE that by Monday they will be able to indicate the length of time that will be required to return the Star to service. The full extent of the damage has to be assessed, the materials that will be required to repair the damage will have to be identified and acquired, and then they will have to estimate the amount of time to get those materials to the drydock location and the necessary work done. Unlike what some people would like to think, it is not a simple pull out and plug in operation.

Archived