Gate 1 Christmas Market 2024

salf

We are booked on the December Christmas market cruise out of Regensburg to Frankfurt. Looking forward to it. We have been on a Viking River Christmas cruise in the past and are aware of the differences. 
Does anyone have copies of the lunch and dinner menus?  I know the choices are more limited than Viking, but I was wondering what the choices are.

Also, does anyone have a picture of the bar menu?  And do they allow you bring beer or wine or spirits on board?

• 1 month later...

Hi Salf,

I just did this trip late November 2023 aboard the Monarch Queen and unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the menus. The breakfasts and lunches were buffet style which included local themed dishes. The dinners all had a set appetizer, soup and dessert. I believe there were at least two choices for main course, either beef or fish choices. Overall the food was pretty good, not incredible but I thought some dishes were excellent while others were only OK.

Beer or wine is served with dinner and breakfast had a mimosa station. There were no restrictions bringing alcohol on board, we brought on wine from our excursions back to our rooms. Drinks were pretty cheap at the bar and they'd have specials ($3 Bloody Marys) or happy hours depending on the day. I thought this overview was incredibly helpful:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruise/gate-1-travel/monarch-empress/dining

Fair warning that these river cruises in winter can have issues with low or high water levels. If that's the case, you will have to stay in dock and it will become a bus trip. We were worried about high waters because we experienced a lot of snow but then we did have to end up docking because of mechanical issues with the ship. 

I hope you have a great trip!