Celebrity Tragedy News

LauraS

• Administrators

Our hearts and prayers go out to the family members and the injured who are impacted by the tragic accident Wednesday. 12 passengers died, and two are injured, while on a shore outing during a port visit of Celebrity Millennium to Chile’s Arica. Cruise Critic is covering the story from all sides Celebrity Tragedy and will continue to follow it as events unfold. Don’t forget to check back often.

I couldn't believe the news...I still can't...Most of us spend months even years saving to go on the trip of our lifetime. Always happy to get on board the ship and get away from it all...Never imagining smething like this

could happen.:confused:

My heart goes out to all for these people and their families. Something that makes me feel a little better is to know they were having the time of their life until the very last moment.

I also hurt for Millennium, I have traveled several times on it...I love this ship...So many beautiful memories...always trying their best so you can have a wonderful vacation...Even though it had nothing to do with the accident, It kind of hurts to see it part of such a horrendous tradegy...

Everyone on this board is deeply saddened by the recent tragedies. It seems appropriate to me to try and focus people’s attention on some issues that might prevent future injuries.

While Celebrity was not responsible for the bus in question in this accident, I frequently see all the major cruise lines using benches on pickup trucks to transport people on shore excursions. They may use nice descriptions like open safari vehicle or some other similar description, but the fact of the matter is people are ridding around in the back of pickup trucks without head rests or seat belts.

If the cruise lines demanded safer vehicles be used by tour operators it would happen. It makes no sense to me that people have air bags and seat belts back home, yet let the cruise lines provide insecure bench seats in the back of pick up trucks when riding on narrow, high speed, hilly terrain at cruise destinations.

I think gentle reminders by people on this board for passenger safety would be useful.

On another topic has any one ever seen a sprinkler head on their state room balcony? I do not remember seeing one but I was usually captivated by the view. If there are fire sprinklers in the stateroom (behind a water tight door) they are not going to have much effect on a roaring fire on a balcony. It seems to me that sprinklers placement and functioning need a thorough review on all ships.

Again, gentle reminders by people on this board for passenger safety might be useful.

It saddens me that lives were lost in these instances. It would sadden me even more if we as a community were silent when future tragedies might be prevented.

Archived