Cabin Upgrade - NCL Prima - Confused on what NCL is trying to do here?

Posted (edited)

So I have sailed NCL a few time and I am familiar with their upgrade offers.  I am 55 or so days out from my sailing, and perfectly happy with my room, so I am not looking to upgrade.

But I was surprised by the Upgrade process this time, and wanted to share with you all and get your opinions.

I am not rich enough for the Haven, but it was my 25th anniversary, so I decided to spring for a forward facing suite (Category SK).  Front of the ship, big balcony, separate bedroom to escape snoring.  Good times.

My cruise has all suites sold out, so I was surprised when I get the "Bid for an Upgrade you special person whom we loooove!" email.  I clicked on it just to see, and I was surprised that it was offering me to bid on rooms that are WORSE than the room I have. 

I know that worse/better for rooms is subjective, but one of my upgrade options was a Family Suite (Category SJ) that had both a smaller balcony and was smaller in square footage?  How is that an upgrade?  Is NCL hoping people will just upgrade willy nilly without checking?  Did I get a really good deal on my SK room and they are hoping I will move so they can sell it at a higher price?  They also offered me to spend MORE for a SH/SI cabin?  That doesn't even have a master bedroom and a MUCH tinier bathroom.  Why would anyone pay more for a worse room?  Is being aft that amazing?

I am not one to focus on "the big bad NCL is out to get me!!!" but it just seemed so odd?  What do you all think?

Edited by LongIsland-Cruiser

I suspect it is because those technically are upgrades. SJ is a higher category from SK. The system doesn't know the nuances of the trade offs with each category.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, boxedmoon said:

I suspect it is because those technically are upgrades. SJ is a higher category from SK. The system doesn't know the nuances of the trade offs with each category.

Perhaps, perhaps.

Just goes to show that it is important to REALLY do your research when booking cruises.  

Some of the upgrade offers I have gotten are the infamous In Room Balcony Jacuzzi ones.  Would love to have my own private Hot Tub, but scuttlebutt on this forum was that they don't work and are shut down.  I think it was eventually discovered it was because of fear of legionnaire's, but I wonder if they are up and working now.

Edited by LongIsland-Cruiser