which pier?

HarleyGirl

Unless they have made improvements to the piers in Playa del Carmen (I don’t think they have), the big cruise ships cannot dock at either pier in Playa del Carman proper. However, there is a third pier in Calica, about 5 or 6 miles south of Playa del Carmen, and this pier is used a lot by the different cruise ships when they come to Playa. It’s just a short Taxi ride to Playa del Carmen from Calica.

Unfortunately, it is getting very confusing now, with so many cruise ships switching to Playa del Carmen, because of the hurricane damage in Cozumel. Apparently, some of the cruise ships are anchoring offshore from Playa del Carmen, and using tenders to transport their passengers to and from Playa del Carmen. I was told that these tenders were using the new pier at Constituyentes Ave., (that’s the pier on the north side of Playa) but I would suggest you call your travel agent or the cruise line and get the particulars for your specific cruise.

Then to add to some of the confusion, don’t be surprised if (after you board your ship in Nov), they announce a switch between anchoring offshore and using the pier at Calica. It’s all part of the charm of “Cruising”!!!! A Cruise ship’s itinerary does change from time to time!!!

But no matter how your get ashore in Playa del Carmen or which pier, you can pretty much rest assured these different tourist excursion outfits will find you. If you’ve booked a tour, they will know where you’re at.

Archived