Legend - San Juan,Tortola, St. Thomas

dayton

Has anyone been on this cruise? Which excursions did you take? I am traveling with two boys - 11 and 14 and wondered what excursions others have taken with kids. Any feedback about the ship, the ports of call, food, etc. would be appreciated. This is my first cruise on Carnival.

Thanks in advance!!

Got back from this crise last week. Didn't really care for San Juan. In St. Thomas we took a tour of the island and stopped at a couple of beaches.We did the baths in Virgin Gorda-they are so nice. The water is warm and lots of fish to see. Didn't spend enough time there IMHO.

The Legend is a great ship. I loved it. The lunch buffets are great.Loved the taste of nations and the Chinese. 24 hour pizza and ice cream.

The dinners in the dining room were wonderful and don't miss the shows in the Follies.

Friends of ours did a catamaran tour in Tortola and loved it. Hope this helps.Enjoy your cruise.

Laura

Yup, 2 formal nights.

One your second night, one the 6th night.

I took this cruise 5/23-5/31

San Juan - Nightime Horseback Riding

Expensive but worth the money, an experience I'll never forget.

St Thomas - Rented Jeep on own

Went to Coki/Magen's Bay/Mountain Top

If I did it again, I'd go to St John & Trunk Bay, then go shopping. Mountain Top is worth the trip

Tortola - Snorkeling Trip via Carnival

Went to Norman Island and snorkeld in some caves...I'd go to Virgin Gorda if I ever go back...

That's what I was wondering, you still say it's (horseback riding excursion) worth it even though it was an hour or more bus ride? Can you go in a little more detail. Thanks for any info-can't decide what to do there, thought either the horseback or the kayak looked interesting but an hour or more each way sounds like a lot! Thanks again!

Carnival Legend

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;8;27;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sorry, I'll elaborate.

First of all, we tried to do the Kayak Excursion, booked it the first day before the ship left the dock. The day before San Juan we were informed that this tour would not be available due to "weather conditions" or something like that. Maybe it had to do with the huge storm that rocked Haiti...anyway, we booked the nighttime horseback riding excursion.

We left for the excursion at 5:00, a group of 30 or so...they put us on a decent bus, it had A/C at least and we left for the rainforest. We hit rush hour, which was pretty bad...the ride was supposed to take an hour, but we were in traffic for a good 90 minutes. Then...as we finally got out of traffic, the bus breaks down! We were stuck on the side of the road for 20 minutes, another bus came and that driver was somehow able to start the bus up. We continued on and finally made it. It took like 2:20 to get there! Most of us were pretty annoyed, and I had in my head thoughts of complaining to the pursar until I was somehow comp'd.

When we got to the ranch, the guides gave us a brief overview on how to ride the horses, and then helped us all mount our horses. We had glow in the dark necklaces around our necks, which was crucial! We left in one large group, and rode for about an hour. At this point, we reached "the river" where they had a campfire, marshmallows, water, beer, soda, etc. for us...stayed for about 30 minutes, then re-mounted the horses and rode back to the ranch (took about 30 minutes to get back). The guides were very nice and helpful, and took pictures of you on your horses when you got back to the ranch.

We then boarded the bus and made it back in less than an hour!

All my thoughts of complaining were gone, we had enjoyed this excursion that much! It was worth the $89, my only complaint would be leaving in rush hour and the bus breaking down, but the driver and tour guide were very nice and friendly, and did everything they could to help us out.

You are absolutley going to LOVE the Legend! We went last October (first cruise). It is the ultimate vacation! We went to trunk bay and went snorkeling there. Absolutely beautiful! In tortolla we took the tour car way up into the mountains. A bit scary, I might add, but the views are breathtaking. In San Juan we did a tour which we got on our own (not through the ship) and the guide was wonderful (and inexpensive). Then we went to a bar at night, Something Frogs and had a really fun time. We had a balcony room on the ship and it was more than adequate for the two of us as far as room goes. The food was excellent and the service couldn't have been better. Be sure to visit Billie's Piano bar. I can't remember the pianist's name, but he was awesome and kept the crowd singing. I am cruising NCL Dawn next April, and must admit, I fear it will pale compared to the Legend. We had a spectacular time on this ship! I plan on booking another cruise on her after this next cruise.

Carnival Legend 10/03

NCL Dawn 4/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2005;04;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived