Seaweed?

cacruisin

I visited Costa Maya late March a few years ago and they had a horrible seaweed problem that basically prohibited enjoying the beach/ocean etc.  I will be visiting Costa Maya again in a few weeks (late March) and was curious if they are currently experiencing the same problem?  I wasn't sure if it was a fluke event or something that happens every year etc....TIA

Hi - we just visited Costa Maya on March 15th and we went to the beaches on the Malecon - close to the cruise port.  I'm happy to report the beaches were clear of sargassum.  They have installed install anti-sargassum barriers (sea fences) about 50 yards from shore to help keep the sargassum off the beaches.  Unfortunately, the fences are a bit of an eyesore but the tradeoff is the swimming/snorkeling from the beach was wonderful and I wouldn't hesitate to return.  There are breaks in the fences so if you'd like to swim or snorkel out to the reef, it's still accessible.  Please note, sea grass does grow here so there are patches you may need to swim around but there's plenty of sandy bottom to enjoy! 

My son and I spent the day at Pez Quadro Beach Club which was lovely.  We found it to be less crowded than the beach clubs on the north end of the Malecon and the staff were wonderful!  The day pass is $20 per person but we negotiated $15 pp since we were only going to be there for 3 hours.  They offered us a food and beverage menu but did not pressure us to order anything.  After swimming for a long while, we did order 2 quesadillas, guac and chips, and 2 sodas and it was around $20 US.  Best deal we had all week and it was delicious!   Hope you have a great trip!  

IMG_3558.png