Folkloric Show St. Petersburg

MKS

Can anyone give me information on the Folkloric shows in St. Petersburg. Which one did you enjoy or which location did you attend. We have been given a choice of two: Pulkowvskaya Hotel and Anickov's Palace. Also, how is the River tour at night. Thanks

Thanks for the information. We will probably book the Pulkavoskaya Hotel. We are also using the private van that DenRus recommends so as to see St. Petersburg at night. They said we also had time for a river cruise after the folkloric show....hmmm...yet to decide. m

I don't know if I'm opening up a can of worms for Denrus, but last summer, when we toured with them (awesome--can't say enough great things about Denrus!), they proposed the show at the Pulkovskaya Hotel (which has consistently received terrific reviews from Cruise Critics since I've been following the Baltics forum x 1-1/2 yrs or more). I noted that the hotel was located south of the city centre and felt the commute would take away from our touring day and might also make for a longer journey back to the ship at the end of the night. So, I asked if there was an alternative, and they booked us for a folkloric performance in a non-descript building near the city centre: the "Cossack Song & Dance Ensemble" by Alexander Mukienko. This gentleman is apparently highly regarded for his production shows. He is also the star of the show (terrific voice)! It is my understanding (and an archives search here confirms) that Mr. Mukienko is the same producer of the show at the Pulkovskaya Hotel. Now, I'm not sure whether he had two companies simultaneously performing at both locations, or whether they alternated between the hotel and the downtown concert hall, or what??? I also don't know if the company is using the downtown concert hall in summer 2006.

Anyway, 1st, I can highly recommend A. Mukienko's folkloric show whether at the "P Hotel" or elsewhere; 2nd, our Denrus guide came in and watched some of the performance and on comparison to the one at the hotel, felt it was definitely as good if not better; 3rd, I think the downtown location is more convenient, but I gather it is not recommended to cruise ship travelers because it is a fairly drab setting--an old concert hall vs. a nice hotel performance venue atmosphere (perhaps with food and/or beverage?)...the audience members present with us were a mix of locals, European land tour groups and a very few assorted stray cats like us! The cost was very reasonable.

We visited in July, after White Nights, so can't comment on the canal ride after the show, except to say that after being up early to start our day and going non-stop all day through the show, which ended at 9:30-10p (I guess, can't recall for sure) all nine in our party (ages 12-75) were exhausted and ready to go back to the ship and crash!

But the folkloric show was a highlight of our visit--we loved the singing, dancing, costumes & theatrics.

Artimis - Thank you for sharing your thoughts. The Folkloric Show that you attended sounds great. As we are limited to walking (short distances are ok) and have difficulty witha lot of stairs, could you tell me how accessable the "non-discript" building would be? Thanks again. m

MKS,

My middle-aged brain isn't reliable enough to provide the information you need to make a good decision, LOL. What I recall is the van pulled up directly in front of the building. After that, it's all in the "I think" category. I think we walked a short distance across a level, front plaza, down a modest run of stairs into the lobby and then on a slightly downward-sloping aisle to our row of seats.

If you are interested, I suggest you ask Denrus or your tour operator.

artimis - Sounds do-able. Thank you so much for your input and suggestions. I will talk to DenRus, as we intend to do a folkloric show with them. I will let you know the outcome and thanks again. Truly appreciated. m

A quote from an email from Olga at DenRus, who is arranging our St. Petersburg tour:

"They say the best Folk performance is at the Pulkovskaya hotel, inflammatory dance and colorful costumes. However, to visit the Folk Show at the Nicholas palace is something special from my point of view as it is performed at the Palace in the very heart of the city, in impressive interiors where once the Tsar's family lived. The fourchette menu is impressive and non expensive there. The performance itself is almost the same as at the Pulkovskaya hotel. Also, to drive to Pulkovskaya hotel takes about 40 min - 1 hour depending on the traffic. "

We have only been to one folk show in St. Petersburg (I doubt the original poster will find many passengers who have been to more than one that can compare), but in addition to the great show, seeing the buildings of St. Petersburg lit up at night along the water was fabulous beyond description. All who were in our van really wished that the other passengers who had done only day tours could have seen the city that way. I would do it again in a heartbeat. So we thoroughly enjoyed the drive but am sure that Nicholas palace is very nice too, and that's some more food for thought for those who are still planning.

For those who are going to Pulkovskaya, note that there are tables of Russian items that you can buy during intermission--while you're drinking your champagne--and these were the BEST prices in our St. Petersburg tours during our two visits to St. Petersburg (2003 and 2005). I bought a music box that was 44 Euros at the gift stores for 24 U.S. dollars at the folk show. I bought one for my niece that was adopted from Russia and one for me, so that was a side-by-side comparison of exactly the same music box. The only down side was that the other people who were shopping were VERY aggressive (due to the low prices).

Have a great trip,

Donna

Archived