Porto & Lisbon

First time in Oporto & Lisbon in June, family of 4 including 2 teenagers, our cruise line for some reason hasn’t published many or any excursions & those I see are either too expensive or not available. Are these places easy to navigate on our own at the last minute when we reach there or should we plan ahead of time? Typically would just to venture around and see some historical places and sightseeing, definitely want to move out of just the port. What would you advise, if been there? Thanks 

In Lisbon which we have visited several times on cruises, the cruise terminal is walking distance from the historic centre. You can travel around by tram also. The area around the Castle is walkable from the ship. 

Be sure to be on deck or your balcony for the sail in, it is in my opinion one of the best in the world, and some of the best sights are visible from the ship. 

Dont know Oporto, but I do know that the cruise terminal is not in Oporto, its at a distance. Scroll down this board to see previous discussions about both Lisbon and Porto. 

I was in Porto last summer.

You will arrive to Matosinhos. Take the underground (tramway in surroundings but it is the same) to city centre.

Make this walking tour
Avenida Aliados - Libraria Lello - Torre Clerigos - Cathedral - Sao Bento station - Batalha square - Rua de Santa Catarina - Bolhao market

you can leave underground in Aliados and take again in Bolhao.

I know you are missing the river but after so many ships, maybe you would want more for city centre

Some Porto pictures of my own

Avenida Aliados

IMG20230814125558.jpg.2178d5d7d8a6463ce2818fbdbffcc39a.jpg

Near Libraria Lello

IMG20230814135826.jpg.355aafae9ceff3e5812508d8fe4eb763.jpg

City view from Torre de los Clerigos

IMG20230814155822.jpg.b6c45f2a2152a6e6a1e2a7e5624fde11.jpg

Rua de Santa Catarina

IMG20230814171719.jpg.2173530ed25a4eaa8c037edd619a0456.jpg

Mercado do Bolhao

IMG20230814172658.jpg.9d51947f5fdb06678b69a3d34b82a57e.jpg

On 3/20/2024 at 8:01 PM, Bluestar01 said:

What would you advise, if been there?

Lisbon is the capital of Portugal so the choice is immense, and it is also easy to visit out-of-town locations such as really popular  Sintra.   You will need to do your homework for both to help you decde which sites/attractions are of interest to you and your family personally and which would fit your time frame.

Reading past threads would be a starting point, as would looking at shorex for ideas even if you do not want to book any.And I highly recommend the excellent OFFICIAL Lisbon Tourist Information website which has a huge amount of information on it. Tripadvisor, Youtube, guide books (maybe you can borrow some from a library?0 Rick Steves  and other websites which appear when you search eg (Lisbon) Tourist Information. Be aware that the city is extremely hilly in places apart from themost central area close to your dock and the  area called Belem which can be easily reached by public bus, tram or taxi and where there are a number of sights. there are also some spectacular viewpoints.

The same for Porto, apart from,  this time,  the official Porto Tourist Information website.

Past threads to get you started.

Lisbon.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=lisbon&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

Porto

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=porto&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

And as you will travel with teens,and to help with homework,  they are old enough to help with research and to offer their own suggestion.😀