Anyone Else Unable to Dock at Costa Maya?

slpccc

Sailed on the Splendour of the Seas from March 18 to March 23. On Tuesday (March 21) we were scheduled to dock in Costa Maya. Captain said due to high winds the Port Authority had closed the pier, so we were unable to visit the port.

Just wondering if anyone was able to get in to Costa Maya on the 20th, 21st or 22nd?

Is there actually a Port Authority in Costa Maya, or does the ship's captain make the call?

Don't know about docking etc....but know that Costa Maya is a big bust...this is a place that is and will continue to be something that is totally developed by the cruise lines that dock here. It's what we in the States know as a set up. There is nothing here except what the cruise lines have created...total rip off. The fishing village seems real at first glance, but trust me I lived in Mexico for over 3 years...this is a total front, created by the cruise lines for the tourists and they are making a bundle on us. Please forgive me for being such a party pooper, but I really know the facts. Enjoy...because this is a form of cruising "Disneyland!" So enjoy the fantasy...but know that it is a fantasy.

I've been reading closely for the last 10 weeks or so for where to go and what to do in Costa Maya. I have never been there, so I only speak from what I read on these boards.

Many many people say that there day in Costa Maya was their favorite part of the trip. Everybody knows that the mall at the pier is created by the cruise lines. Mahahaul is a real town that has adapted to the tourist. They have a clean beach, cheap good food and drink.....that's all I'm expecting, so it'll be hard for me to be disappointed.

It's hard to call it a "bust". Any port is a bust if you go to the wrong places once you get there. Now, I may get there and hate every second of my visit.

Now back to the original question - It appears the winds kick up quite often. There doesn't appear to be a sandbar, reef, or anything to block the waves from the pier, so any wind at all and the port is in danger of being skipped. It sounds like it is more common for this port than most.

We were there on March the 3rd on the Splendour. We were supposed to dock at 7 but it was closer to 8:30 or a little later when we did get docked. The captain would make announcements about every 15 minutes about the status but we did eventually dock and were able to make our shore excursion (booked independantly). I too believe that Costa Maya was the best part of our cruise; from the moment we were near the dock, until we left. Beautiful. I believe the fishing village is real, and they have adapted. I would go back to Costa Maya anytime.:)

I seem to recall the Mexican government "invented" a lot of resorts. Most notably Cancun; read up on all that before going to Club Med there 22 years ago. As for Costa Maya, where I hope we'll be able to dock on 4/1 Galaxy cruise, we're just going to go see the Chacchoben ruins, and heaven knows THOSE weren't just whipped up for the tourists ;) -- TR

Every port has a "Port Authority" which can close the Port for the day if the seas/wind are too rough and too dangerous to attempt a docking. Remember it is not the Captain that docks the ship, the Port Authority sends aboard it's own "person" to dock and undock the ship.

It's better to be safe than sorry. It seems in places like Crand Cayman and Costa Maya winds and surf do make a difference.

Back to the original question: we were in Costa Maya on Wednesday March 22, and had no trouble docking. There were two RCCL ships tied up there as well. I noticed that the ship that was tied up on the side of the dock facing the ocean was bobbing around a bit, while the ship on the leeward side of the dock was fine, no movement at all. We did hear that ships were turned away during the two days prior to our arrival due to high winds (and the swells that are created). The OP is correct; there is no reef or breakwater to protect from the actions of the sea, so on windy days docking can be tricky.

By the way, I could not disagree more strongly with the RevSmith's comments about Costa Maya being a "bust." Yes, if you stay at the cruise line shopping mall at the foot of the pier, but if you take a $3 taxi ride to Mahahual and hang out at any of the little beach bars (we liked Pez Quadro at the end of the beach strip) you'll have a great beach, cheap drinks, good food and nice people. We did NOT find the vendors along the beach to be overly aggressive.

This place is almost certain to be another Playa del Carmen (hopefully not another Cancun) within the next few years, so enjoy it now while it's still pristine and laid back.

Glad to hear you were able to dock on Wednesday. I also disagree with RevSmith's comments about the port being a bust. I was very disappointed to miss the port. We were there two years ago and loved sitting on the beach in Mahahual. We spent no time at the "cruise line shopping mall". This year we were looking forward to exploring a bit more.

No pilot came aboard our ship to guide/dock the ship. That's why I was asking about who acutally closes the port to ships.

No pilot came aboard our ship to guide/dock the ship. That's why I was asking about who acutally closes the port to ships.

As you begin to walk through the "village" you'll pass a two story white building on the right that has a prominent sign on the wall identifying it as "Harbor Master." I'm pretty sure that's who would have the authority to close the port. I would also speculate that each ship's captain would know whether to skip the port if the wind and waves made it unsafe to dock.

This kind of stuff does happen. I was in Belize on the 13th and did an excursion with some others from a different ship. They had tried to dock the day before in Costa Maya but could not due to winds. Luckily when we arrived on the 14th we got in without a problem.

Costa Maya was beautiful. I did mention to my DW that in 10 years it would be nothing like it is today. This I gathered from 1) it's popularity since Cozumel has been damaged and 2) the SURVEY left in my room wanting me to chronicle my day and how much $$ I spent in port.

See it while you can because it will explode. The government is putting money into the area to balance out the population and jobs (this told to me by my local tour operator). Five years prior it was a ghost town because so many people had left for Cancun but things are turning around. Look at the road work and construction being done on the roads between port and Mahahual.

Archived