money question for crusing on the Pride

digitcallous

This is really a 2 part question for crusing on the Pride:

1. On board the ship I take it the most convenient thing to do is just charge everything to a credit card, or what are the alternatives? Are all credit cards accepted on board?

2. While in port in Mexico I've heard people being worried about credit card theft. Is that really something to worry about? If not a regular credit card, what would be best: travellers checks, debit card (are they accepted?), cash (US currency?), or what?

We are on the 6/27 sailing and I'm doing some planning. Thanks you if you have information on this topic.

DC

Hi DC,

1. On the ship, everything is charged to your Sail & Sign Card. You can set-up payment for this card in one of three ways: Credit Card, Debit Card or Cash. There are lots of people for and against the different methods. Some will say the most convenient and safest is Credit Card, while others swear by cash. Personally, we used a Debit Card on our cruise on the Pride, and it worked perfectly. The key for us was to notify our bank about a week in advance...

2. ...which leads me to your 2nd question. You CAN use credit cards - just be sure to notify your bank or CC company in advance that there may be charges originating in Mexico while you're on the cruise. But we found regular U.S. currency to be very convenient and accepted EVERYWHERE! Even in the little town of Las Palmas.

Just have an idea about what the conversion rate is, because in some of the smaller locations, change may come back in pesos. Good reason to take small bills. Lots of ones and fives. Good for purchases and for tips.

Hope that helps, and have a great cruise! icon_smile.gif

Mark ºoº

5/9/04 Pride Cruise - 1st Cruise!

Click here for links to The Review

Visit our Webshots Gallery

I'm one of those ones who is leary about using my credit card in Mexico. I've heard too many horror stories on this board about credit card number theft so I just use cash in port. If you do decide to use your cc, be sure you notify your bank you are going out of the country so they won't decline your card as they might think it's suspicious activity.

Jan

NEXT CRUISE - MIRACLE 2/13/05!

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory, Conquest, Sensation

I agree with Mark that you should take a lot of small bills to use in Mexico. We used cash (US dollars) but the change comes back in Mexican currency. So,the way to avoid this is too use the small bills.

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;06;28;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Cruise with Mom- Early 80th birthday celebration!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;06;10;15;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Since our 5/30/04 sailing on the Pride in aft cabin 4228!

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Ecstasy 09/13/02

Absolutely!

Every time I go to Mexico, I take about $50.00 in ones, a lot of 5's. and nothing higher than a 20. You can great bargains in Mexico with US cash, but if something costs $23.00, pay $23.00 in exact money. They'll "say" they don't have change for a 50 or 100 (they usually do), and then try to load you up with change in pesos that they just want to get rid of. Good idea about calling your Bank Card or CC company ahead of time. If your card doesn't show a history of charging outside the US, the charges may be denied, because the bank/company may assume it's a stolen card. Right now, there are about 10 pesos per dollar. The peso also uses our $ sign, and if something is priced in pesos, it can be a bit confusing. (Was just in Cancun for a week).

I know many love those debit cards, but there are so many horror stories about them. and very very few with credit cards... other than spending more than you should.

You can not bounce your mortage check when you use a credit card. You can do it with a debit card. In decent stores, you credit card is safe. We have used it all over the world, many in small stores. Also, NEVER EVER travel with only one credit card. Have a backup.

Ship is total charge to sail and sign. Again, charge card works best.

Alaska via Spirit 6/2/04

DEFINITELY call your credit card company if you are going anywhere and plan to use it!

The kids and I took my mother on a cruise but left hubby at home. Used my card at the first port. Discover called the house that evening. Hubby had bought gas locally that day. They had blocked the account due to suspicious activity. Of course, hubby said it was fine.

When we got home, he asked what I would have done had he not been home to catch the call. I told him I had two other credit cards, one for each port! Had a good laugh.

DEFINITELY call your credit card company if you are going anywhere and plan to use it!

The kids and I took my mother on a cruise but left hubby at home. Used my card at the first port. Discover called the house that evening. Hubby had bought gas locally that day. They had blocked the account due to suspicious activity. Of course, hubby said it was fine.

When we got home, he asked what I would have done had he not been home to catch the call. I told him I had two other credit cards, one for each port! Had a good laugh.

Thank you for all the good advice. Sounds like cash in small bills in port is the way to go, except for 'major' purchases in certain stores. And I'll be sure to notify my credit card companies about potentially using the card outside the country.

What about if you sign up on an excursion at the docks in Mexico? What you do use then?

DC

Archived