Passenger loads on Alaska Cruises

A while back there was a posting in which it was said that people interested in Alaska cruises should book really early because they fill up long in advance. While this may be the case on some cruise lines, it is not my experience.

We have taken four Alaska cruises from Vancouver in the past nine years and all had significantly reduced fares - some even before the final payment date when discounts are common.  This year we have received several offers from Cunard and almost every day we receive an e-mail from Holland America offering several discounted cruises, with Alaska being the first one mentioned. We also get a brochure in the post every week from HAL.  Even Princess, on which we have never cruised, sends us a lot of brochures and even makes phone calls to us. 

We were not intending to take another Queen Elizabeth cruise to Alaska this year, but the offers have been so good we just booked one at a sharply reduced fare. We booked a Queens Grill suite (not something usually in our budget!) at a per diem rate less than half of what the equivalent would cost on the Queen Mary 2 for a short cruise or Atlantic crossing.  Another reason we are taking this cruise is Cunard is moving the base of Alaska cruises to Seattle next year, and that doesn't please us at all.

I think there may be an over-capacity of ships on the Alaska run.  I suppose enough people book at full fare vs those who book at "sailing soon" discounts to make them feasible.

Other peoples' experiences would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

A while back there was a posting in which it was said that people interested in Alaska cruises should book really early because they fill up long in advance. While this may be the case on some cruise lines, it is not my experience.

We have taken four Alaska cruises from Vancouver in the past nine years and all had significantly reduced fares - some even before the final payment date when discounts are common.  This year we have received several offers from Cunard and almost every day we receive an e-mail from Holland America offering several discounted cruises, with Alaska being the first one mentioned. We also get a brochure in the post every week from HAL.  Even Princess, on which we have never cruised, sends us a lot of brochures and even makes phone calls to us. 

We were not intending to take another Queen Elizabeth cruise to Alaska this year, but the offers have been so good we just booked one at a sharply reduced fare. We booked a Queens Grill suite (not something usually in our budget!) at a per diem rate less than half of what the equivalent would cost on the Queen Mary 2 for a short cruise or Atlantic crossing.  Another reason we are taking this cruise is Cunard is moving the base of Alaska cruises to Seattle next year, and that doesn't please us at all.

I think there may be an over-capacity of ships on the Alaska run.  I suppose enough people book at full fare vs those who book at "sailing soon" discounts to make them feasible.

Other peoples' experiences would be appreciated.

Many more cruisers are returning to lower cost cruise lines though they’re also not at full capacity due to the increased cost of fares and their far lower disposable income than pre pandemic, like myself.🤣 You’re likely seeing more of the same on Cunard as I’m guessing clients might have migrated to other vacation options. I’m guessing that Seattle, due to its proximity to Vancouver, is likely to attract more US clients and $ to Cunard’s sailings than Canadians. We also still have the lack of international flights into Canada from abroad….and a bit more hassle for US clients sailing from Vancouver. Alaska after all is a US state, and the mandatory port stop in Vancouver is much easier to navigate for US citizens than actually embarking there. Glad you’re getting a good deal this time around. Happy cruising!

• Like 1

I'm sure you are right about Seattle being more appealing to US residents than Vancouver is. Cunard has likely made a business decision that it can sell cabins at a higher fare from Seattle.

On the four cruises I referred to the largest contingent of passengers were from the UK. On some cruises that was followed by Australians. I'm not sure where US vs Canadian passengers fitted in. At one time, ships used to give you precise numbers of various nationalities but I think for Cunard only on Atlantic crossings of the Queen Mary 2 they do that now.

Vancouver has good connections for international flights. The distance has not discouraged the large number of British or Australians to join ships there. Maybe there are more flights to/from the UK or Australia to Seattle than Vancouver, but I have no idea.

The mandatory call for US-based ships is Victoria, usually on the return. I have noticed Victoria gets a considerable number of ships calling there, often for just a few hours. There is space for three large ships at Ogden Point. When there are more than three booked, a ship has to depart in the afternoon and another will take its place for the evening.