Briksdal Glacier tour with Visit Nordfjordeid good?

Posted (edited)

olden adventures has a lot of reviews and runs busses to both the glacier and the Loen skylift, so depending on time you might be able to do both.  It's not really a guided tour - it's a bus to the two attractions where you hike and explore by yourself, so you just need a reputable company that will transport you there safely.   There also used to be a public bus that goes to Briskdal, but tickets couldn't be reserved in the past (not sure about now).  Its the cheapest option but did fill up in the past.

Olden adventures didn't used to come with food, but there were very yummy waffles at the cafe.  Don't know about the cake buffet.

Edited by kitkat343

12 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

olden adventures has a lot of reviews and runs busses to both the glacier and the Loen skylift, so depending on time you might be able to do both.  It's not really a guided tour - it's a bus to the two attractions where you hike and explore by yourself, so you just need a reputable company that will transport you there safely.   There also used to be a public bus that goes to Briskdal, but tickets couldn't be reserved in the past (not sure about now).  Its the cheapest option but did fill up in the past.

Olden adventures didn't used to come with food, but there were very yummy waffles at the cafe.  Don't know about the cake buffet.

We had similar difficulties figuring the transport to Briksdal (including the very limited, un-bookable and reportedly over-subscribed local bus - particularly for the return to Olden 😮) and also for figuring the distance / terrain from the road to the viewpoint,

So we gave up on the idea.

At Loen we happened upon a boat trip on Loen Lake (it goes by a couple of other names too) to Kjenndal Glacier. I didn't notice the name of the operator, but the details are the same as Olden Adventures - including the lakeside coffee & waffles 🙂.

It starts with a short  bus ride to the lake from either Olden or Loen, then cruise the length of the lake (about ?30? minutes) to a jetty & restaurant at the far end. Half of the group then goes directly by van 5 minutes up a narrow track to the glacier viewpoint for a stop of about 20 minutes while the other half enjoy their coffee & waffles (& anything else that they care to buy) at the restaurant, then vice-versa. Then boat & bus back to Olden or Loen.   

An excellent day all-round, we thoroughly recommend. 

https://www.oldencruise.com/loen-lake-and-kjenndal-glacier/

JB 🙂

We do not dock in Olden, but dock in Nordfjordeid instead. The tour that I found went to Briksdal, like those from Olden, but from Nordfjordeid. This tour's meeting point only looks available in Olden. Let me know if I'm wrong. Public transportation sounds good for the affordability; however, I would also be concerned since you mentioned the availability/full buses. 

Tammy

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, tammyjw305 said:

We do not dock in Olden, but dock in Nordfjordeid instead. The tour that I found went to Briksdal, like those from Olden, but from Nordfjordeid. This tour's meeting point only looks available in Olden. Let me know if I'm wrong. Public transportation sounds good for the affordability; however, I would also be concerned since you mentioned the availability/full buses. 

Tammy

I travelled 7 years ago, so my information on the public bus may be totally out of date.  7 years ago it sometimes filled up and left tourist behind.  One other option is to contact Olden Adventures and the company John Bull mentioned and ask them if they have any tours/transportation from Nordfjordeid when ships dock there.  

Please also note that the Brisdkdal Glacier has been hit hard by global warming, and might not be the best destination if you are looking for an amazing glacier.  I was very glad to have gone, as the bus ride there was lovely, there was a troll car to get us most of the way there and my 2 year old was able to handle the short remaining hike to the glacier.  It was a beautiful hike and a very lovely spot where the glacier was, but if you are expecting a huge glacier you might be disappointed.  If you are expecting a minor glacier, you might be very happy.

Also, I went to the Loen Skylift 4 days after its opening, so there were no ship tours running there then, but it definitely is no longer a secret and I've read on these forums of people talking about possibly there being lines on clear days.  It was quite spectacular (even thought it was a little rainy/cloudy on the day we visited) but I don't know about the current crowd level there.

Edited by kitkat343

Thanks, KitKat and John Bull! We are going in Sept, so that may help with some of the crowds. I'll consider alternatives -- the skylift and rib boat tours. We have been to Glacier Bay in Alaska, so maybe not the best choice for Norway with global warming. 

Tammy

I live in the "area"... Have not heard anything but good reviews about the fjordex company. Buses stand ready 100 meters from the ship when you dock, and are easy to find.  I would have no second thoughts by ordering a trip from there.... I think from Nordfjordeid there are no other options than Fjordex. Just above 70 ships this year, and these trips available to most of the arrivals.