Rome: So much to see, so little time.

GAgaltravel

Ok Cruisers, how to we see the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's in the shortest amount of time? (I'm only partially joking.) With potentially only 8 hours in Rome, I don't want to spend most of it in line. Would booking with a private tour company help avoid waiting in line? My issue with some tours is I sometimes feel "stuck" and can't see things as I'd like to. I'd love some advice! BTW we're there in June.

Posted (edited)

We took the train from the port to St.Peters, wandered around there for a while and then walked to the Vatican. There was no way we were getting into the Basilica.   The line was hours long. I had tried to get skip-the-line tickets prior, but none were available, even though I checked months before the trip.

We had booked our Vatican tour through the official Vatican sight, again months before. It is clear on the website when the ticket blocks are released.  It was a three-hour tour (I’m now humming the Gilligan’s Island theme song.  Are you?), which ended in the Sistine Chapel. We then walked back to the train and were back on board the ship in plenty of time. The whole trip did take about 8 hours, but we did have coffee in the morning and a nice lunch. We were in port about 12 hours. 

However, 8 hours doesn’t leave any margin of error. I’d look for a shorter Vatican tour.   Maybe there’s one that covers both in a shorter time period?  The train was actually a very efficient mode of travel.  Less than an hour each way. We just took regular commuter trains. 

Edited by lisaatric
More Thoughts

49 minutes ago, lisaatric said:

We took the train from the port to St.Peters, wandered around there for a while and then walked to the Vatican. There was no way we were getting into the Basilica.   The line was hours long. I had tried to get skip-the-line tickets prior, but none were available, even though I checked months before the trip.

We had booked our Vatican tour through the official Vatican sight, again months before. It is clear on the website when the ticket blocks are released.  It was a three-hour tour (I’m now humming the Gilligan’s Island theme song.  Are you?), which ended in the Sistine Chapel. We then walked back to the train and were back on board the ship in plenty of time. The whole trip did take about 8 hours, but we did have coffee in the morning and a nice lunch. We were in port about 12 hours. 

However, 8 hours doesn’t leave any margin of error. I’d look for a shorter Vatican tour.   Maybe there’s one that covers both in a shorter time period?  The train was actually a very efficient mode of travel.  Less than an hour each way. We just took regular commuter trains. 

We’re in port for 12 hours also. I was just thinking about actual time in Rome. We want to do a walking tour it outdoor sites, but I hate not taking my daughter to see the Chapel and St. Peter’s. I don’t hate it enough to stand in line for hours though 😂. Thanks for giving me your itinerary!