Pride of America- help with balcony cabin choice

We are starting to plan a Pride of America Hawaii cruise.  I always wanted to book an aft balcony on this ship due to the Na Pali coast sailing.  Now, with that coastal sailing removed from the itinerary, is an aft still worth it/necessary?  Is it still so scenic that you'd still need an aft or is a regular balcony on the side of the ship enough...and if so, what side of the ship is best for viewing?  Thanks.

In my opinion, do not get an aft balcony. Owing to the complaints I compiled over the past couple of years, the aft cabins on the PoA can suffer from a "sewer smell" that ranges from annoying to nauseating. The main cause needs a combination of factors: The wind has to hit the ship's funnel at the right direction, which then causes the both the sewage plant output and the funnel exhaust to be blown into the AC intakes for those cabins.

It worried me so much that I moved our cabin to mid-ish and ahead of the funnel. (Ours was 9622). And without the Na Pali sailing, there's no right or wrong side to be on for scenery. Most of the time, by the time we got underway, it was after sunset, so no scenery at all. 

I've stopped updating the reports, now that I've taken the cruise.

23 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

In my opinion, do not get an aft balcony. Owing to the complaints I compiled over the past couple of years, the aft cabins on the PoA can suffer from a "sewer smell" that ranges from annoying to nauseating. The main cause needs a combination of factors: The wind has to hit the ship's funnel at the right direction, which then causes the both the sewage plant output and the funnel exhaust to be blown into the AC intakes for those cabins.

It worried me so much that I moved our cabin to mid-ish and ahead of the funnel. (Ours was 9622). And without the Na Pali sailing, there's no right or wrong side to be on for scenery. Most of the time, by the time we got underway, it was after sunset, so no scenery at all. 

Very interesting - I wasn't aware of any smell.  Thank you .  The cruise is costly so if we don't "need" the aft for views, then so be it. 

2 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

I agree.

Our only scenic views (from the aft topside decks) were leaving Kona in the afternoon, along with a friendly young whale trailing us for a ways.

POA has a weird ventilation system, even for the restaurants.  As it was not an original NCL design, I have to wonder who designed a system where exhaust vents seem to be randomly placed, vs centralized.

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of "off topic" but we're booked on POA in August.  Last time we went we only got a balcony but this time we're in a suite.  We've stayed in several Havens thru the years but know POA doesn't have Haven.  Also, this time my husband's knees might not tolerate all the walking and we're thinking of a manual wheelchair!  If anyone has any tips about either; the suite specialty restaurants, for each meal (we will buy some specialty dinners for some evenings) but wonder what our options are if we choose to eat in the suite restaurant and wheelchair tips (how difficult to push on the carpet?).  Thanks for help!