Question about Papal Audience

We are trying to plan our day in Rome, museum tour, St. Peter's, etc. We will be there on a Wednesday so we are planning to attend the Papal Audience if it is held.

My question is for anyone who has attended a Papal Audience. How long did it last?

Thank you for your help.

The audience lasted about 1 1/2 hours but you must go through screening to get in and the crowds can be enormous. I was there in 2000 and the crowds were very large that year due to the fact that it was a "Jubilee" year. Also the area around St. Peter's Square is very congested so I would suggest allowing about 3 hours.

Thanks for the info. Just trying to figure out when it will be over so I can decide which Vatican museum tour time to book. If it starts at 10:30 I guess we'll play it safe and book the 2:00 tour since it sounds like noon will be cutting it too close.

It is best to apply for your tickets as early as possible, and ask to have them send to you (or your parish - i don't remember anymore).

Otherwise you have to collect them on the tuesday before (which is quite a hassle, and not easy on a cruise !)

I was there too for the Jubilee 2000, and perhaps it has changed now.

Still, i'd advise to apply very early.

J

We aren't getting into Rome until early Wednesday morning. Since they won't mail tickets, and we can't pick them up Tuesday night, we are ordering them through a reservation service. It's only 3 euros and we can pick them up at a location in St. Peter's Square that morning. Considering the amount of money we are spending on this trip 3 euros to ensure that we have tickets to the Papal Audience is nothing.:)

Judy,

Here is their website. After you book and pay they send you an e-mail with the ticket voucher and instructions on when and how to pick up your tickets. I wanted to make sure they would be available Wed. morning so I e-mailed and checked that out first before ordering the tickets.

http://www.goporta.com/tickets/Papal-Audience_ticket.html

They also make reservations for all sorts of other museums and tours but we're just using them for the Papal Audience. I can make my own reservations without paying someone else to do it for me. There was no way we could pick up Papal Audience tickets Tuesday so they were a godsend.

http://www.goporta.com/tickets/Papal-Audience_ticket.html

They also make reservations for all sorts of other museums and tours but we're just using them for the Papal Audience. I can make my own reservations without paying someone else to do it for me. There was no way we could pick up Papal Audience tickets Tuesday so they were a godsend.

We used goporta last year for our tour of the Vatican Museums (the in-house tour, not a private tour). It just seemed simpler and more convenient than dealing with the Vatican by fax. Worked great, just showed up at the Museum exit per instructions and showed the guard our confirmation number.

just FYI, you do not need a ticket to attend the Papal Audience on Wednesday if it is being held outside. And being June, it will be. The ticket does get you a little closer, but does not guarantee a seat. I've gone with tickets and without, and had a much better spot the times I did not have tickets. The Swiss Guards just directed us.

Archived