Oia to Santorini port

Hi we are docking in Santorini in June and wondered if anyone has caught the water taxi back to the port from Oia?

We are thinking of going up the cable car to Fira, bus to Oia, walk down the hill to Amoundi bay with a view to catching the water taxi/ ferry back to the port early evening. 
I can only see information about the water taxi to Oia! I presume they come back but would love to know if it’s possible please!

Oddly enough this service is one-way only.  Or has been for many yrs. 

HOWEVER, in a trip report last yr, someone reported a DIFFERENT company with 2 small boats offering a return trip back to Skala ( the pier below Fira).  They weren't operating from the same location as the large water taxi.   The large water taxi drops off at a dock at the bottom of the road on Amoudi Bay, whereas these 2 boats were at the bottom of the Amoudi Stairs which lead up to Oia.  She said they were even taking reservations, 20E.  She had walked down the stairs just for the heck of it, and was prepared to walk back up, but this was the perfect option for avoiding the cable car fiasco.

p.s. I don't know how many ships are in port with you, but keep in mind that the water taxi to Amoudi is a great option if there is a long line at the cable car to get up to Fira 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Oddly enough this service is one-way only.  Or has been for many yrs. 

HOWEVER, in a trip report last yr, someone reported a DIFFERENT company with 2 small boats offering a return trip back to Skala ( the pier below Fira).  They weren't operating from the same location as the large water taxi.   The large water taxi drops off at a dock at the bottom of the road on Amoudi Bay, whereas these 2 boats were at the bottom of the Amoudi Stairs which lead up to Oia.  She said they were even taking reservations, 20E.  She had walked down the stairs just for the heck of it, and was prepared to walk back up, but this was the perfect option for avoiding the cable car fiasco.

p.s. I don't know how many ships are in port with you, but keep in mind that the water taxi to Amoudi is a great option if there is a long line at the cable car to get up to Fira 

Agreed, but I've only seen one previous mention of a boat service from Oia back to Skala (the ships' tender pier) -  probably the same mention that you've seen.

So it's well worth digging a lot deeper

JB 🙂